Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Electric Fan CFM

Old 02-16-2008, 12:31 AM
derwin66
1st Gear Member

Default Electric Fan CFM

I have been seeking advice over the classic overheating 302W in my 65 as some of you would of read on the forum. Over the week changed my water pump to a Eddlebrock high volume pump which dropped the temperature very minutely. What I noticed is that when I have the hood up and the car is idling the electric fan keeps the car at a perfect 185 degrees. When I close the hood it slowly creeps up. It is a cheap e-bay no brand Chinese fan that is supposed to be 2700CFM. I don't think its CFMreally is that high andis not strong enough for the job. I put my hand in front of the condensor (which is in front of the rad) I can feel a feint pull of air through it when the fan is on. I am thining about taking the plunge and buying the strongest 16 inch fan I can find, a Zirgo ZFU16, which they rated at about 3900cfm. Has anyone got some feedback on this fan.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Electric Fan CFM

Are you running an old type radiator? Is it stopped up a little? Maybe its timt for a new one. If so, the aluminum units seem to cool better. If they wuold rate the CFM at a static pressure it would be better info to make a decision. The addition of a condensor will increast the negative static pressure thus decreasing air flow. So, on the 2700 CFM it very well may be too small. Has the engine been bored? This thins the walls and will amplify the heat issue. Heres a link that may help and answer your air flow question. Also the current draw is a good indicator of how strong a fan is.
http://www.perma-cool.com/faq/efans.html#size
Old 02-16-2008, 08:51 AM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

i have a aluminum radiator/puller fan combo and the fan is rated at around 2500 cfm. engine is a 289 .30 over

so far it has cooled very well, although it is febuary. i spent over 500 bucks on this setup and if it does not cool in the summer, im gonna be [:@]
Old 02-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Joe_V8

I have heard that the Zirgo fans are well made but I have no personal experience with them. You should also check out
"spalusa.com". I have used their fans and they work very well.
Also, when looking at fans, keep in mind some of them draw a lot of current. Make sure your electrical system will be up to the task.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:21 AM
JamesW

You can do this for under 350.... should work for you well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/North...spagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-SP...em370021140662
Old 02-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Not sure how much of a DIY'er you are, but I've heard that old Lincoln Mark VII fans work really, really well. They're not as light or low-profile as some of the aftermarket units, but they do move a lot of air, especially for a factory unit. They're pretty popular with the aftermarket crowd because apparently they're easy to mount, and you should be able to find one pretty easily.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:21 PM
derwin66
1st Gear Member

Thanks. James I already have the aluminium set up but I live in Australia and it would be a little hexy to get it here. I have been looking at SPAL but more CFM is better wouldn't you think. According to 67's link the car needs at least a 2700CFM and add more with the condenser in the stupid location it is in. The car is 20 over, and is a new motor and radiator, still looking for real experiences from anyone who has a Zirgo installed.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:20 PM
66FB06GT
1st Gear Member

I am running that SPAL with a Northern Aluminum stock replacement for a 65-66 and it works awesome on my car. I bet the cheapo ebay one isn't pulling the CFM rating that it is setup to. My SPAL worked like a champ even when I had it hooked up to the stock 3-core brass radiator that was in pretty bad shape. Here is more details on my experience with this setup:

http://www.fastbackmustang.com/Proje...emUpgrade.aspx

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

It sounds like the 2700 is not enough to cool the engine. The addition of "Water Wetter" will help quiet a bit. Also make sure the antifreeze is mixed properly. Their are other types of coolent besides the common ethylene glycol based stuff and they are supposed to cool better(?). I have a Crown Vic 2 speed fan unitthat I plan to use in the 65, its from a Police cruiser. Maybe one of those can be had down under. A couple of Bosch relays and your in business. I guess the big question is, does it stay cool at speed?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:11 PM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

you can also use Purple Ice (from Royal Purple, same thing as water wetter)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Fan CFM