Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sheet metal - front fenders

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:18 AM
JeffsStang

Default Sheet metal - front fenders

The front fenders on my 68 coupe are pretty shot, so I've decided to get replacements rather than try to salvage what I have. Anyway, I live about 20 mins from CJ Pony Parts, so I was going to take a trip up there to make my purchase. In their catalog I found two different parts: Original Ford Tooling and Not. So, noting that there is a huge price difference and that I'm not going for a concourse restoration....

1) What is the difference in the panels?
2) Are their fit problems?
3) Are their quality of the metal problems?

In a related question, in the catalog they look like they may be painted black already?? Do they need to be primered prior to installation? It will be at least 1 year before my car will be ready for paint, and it does sit in a garage.

Thanks,
jeff

Old 02-18-2008, 11:35 AM
choefle
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Sheet metal - front fenders

Hey Jeff,
The major difference is the Ford tooling will be a perfect fit. The others are cheap reproductions made in China for the most part. The metal on these are not as good as the Ford tooling versions. If you can afford the extra money go with the Ford tooling version. They all should come with a black EDPcoating. This helps protect the part from rusting.

EDP coating by definition:Electro-Deposit Primer (EDP), is an electrically-charged primer that protects parts from rust and corrosion. Parts with an EDP coating have been tested for 500 hours under a salt spray solution to check for corrosion.
The only surface preparation required is scuffing up the surface for better paint adhesion.No stripping is required. The part is protected from rust as long as the EDP coat remains under the paint.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

+1 on fitment. You will be glad you purchased Ford tooled fenders when you install them. Trust me.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Hotrod68
1st Gear Member

Buy the Ford Tooling Fenders. The replacement ones will not fit well at all and leave you with terrible gaps and misaligned bolt holes. I wasted money on a repro RF fender for my 68 the fit terribly only to end up buying a Ford Tooled one later.
Also, depending on the repro fender manufacturer, there will be differences in the thickness of the sheetmetal used from original (will be thinner and cheaper). Once they're painted it won't make too much of a difference, but just an FYI here.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I bought those exact same fenders from CJ's, except for a 67. They fit perfect. I bought other repro non-Ford tooling type of metal, and their is a difference. I tend to try and find original Ford Tooling parts for body metal, but other metal, it isn't as important (floor pans, etc). One thing you will notice, is today's metal is usually thinner, but stronger due to higher carbon content. So it may "feel" different, but it is better than the original metal, and the fitment is just as good.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:35 AM
JeffsStang

Thanks for all the help guys......

Jeff