Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

First time prepping for paint..

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 03:30 PM
kryo
1st Gear Member

Default First time prepping for paint..

Hello, I am planning on having my car painted in about a month here and since I know the person who ispainting the car (for free, I might add) so I am going to prep the car soon. Here's the breakdown: it was originally one of the turquoise colors but the second or third owner gave it a Maaco special and now it's a.. purple color. The door jams, floor pans, etc. are all the original color and there is a small amount of rust on the floor pans but no holes or anything. I was wondering what kinds of POR-15 I should get and how much? I want to prime the outside of the car all grey before we paint it and the floorpans and inside the metallic black so.. what kind of materials should I use? Also, if you have any advice or random things, go ahead and put em out there for me. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:16 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: First time prepping for paint..

if you are painting the body metallic black, be very, very, very careful with prep work. Black shows flaws the most out of all the colors.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:38 PM
kryo
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I've seen what a ****ty prep job can do to a black paint job. Luckily, the kid is going to fix/finish everything I don't do.. I'm just trying to make it a little easier on him since he's doing it for free.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:13 PM
dlynch
2nd Gear Member

depending on how the macco job is done on the car you can wet sand it paint right over it. primer is a filler so unless theres other bodywork bondo, fiberglass you dont need to prime. you also dont want to build up paint, as in prime the hole car you only want to the shopts that have body work.

feather edging is also a huge must do tapper your edges...
Old 02-19-2008, 06:48 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Use a wax stripper on it before sanding. If the car has had silicone wax on it the silicone will stay on the car when sanded and could cause the new paint not to stick. dlynch is right about not priming over good paint. Too many layers can be a problem. Too bad you don't know how well the Maaco paint is stuck. Any chance you would want to sand through it down to the underlying layer? Any idea how long the Maaco paint has been on it?