Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Flipped the car today, no I didn't wreck

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Flipped the car today, no I didn't wreck

Yeh, I got two flat tires on the rotisserie. Good thing is it keeps it in place. The last one had a lot of metal work and the welder droppings poped the tires. I think I will replace them with a wheel barror type that won't go flat. I think that round thing on the wall is base for a unbrella type hickie. It needs to go in the trash. I hope to pressure wash it tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Hey Mike.. How'd that work with brushing on the brake fluid and pressure washing the bottom? This is something we'll be doing shortly (in the next week I hope) and was wondering how it worked for you. We have a pressurewasher here rated at 3200 however it's cold only. I also have a water/sand attachment for it. I was thinking I'd have a god at it with the brake fluid to soften things up and then wet/sanding it down. Not sure if it'll work that well with the cold water though.

A buddy runs his own pressure washing company here and has the big truck, hot water, etc. Only issue is he's been super busy lately and hasn't had the time to bring it over unfortunately.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

looks great man, keep it up!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Ibrushed onthe brake fluid twice and let it stay on for a couple of days. Itdid soften a lot of theundercoating especially the newer (the old dealer stuff was still pretty tough).All in all itsprobablyworth the time as what I used was waistfrom bleeding brakes and a freeby. I also picked up a gallon of stripper and brushed it on some of the stubborn areas. It softened up all that was left.It did take some scraping but allthe heavy stuff is off and it looks pretty good. I am going to do one more application of the stripper and spraythe rest of it off with the Jenny. Heat is the key to these pressure washers. If you keep using the stripper, eventuallyit allwill come off.Your car will loose about 20 lbs when done. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

Lookin' good...great progress!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Yeah I know the hot water pressure washer is best. I'm hoping that the sand helps since I only have quick access to our non-heated pressure washer. If that doesn't work I'll see if I can persuade my buddy to bring his truck over.. perhaps a bottle of rum will help when I knock on his door lol. Got the metal for the rotisserie so once we have the floors back in it'll be up on that and turned for stripping the bottom.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

That's going to be sweet! I believe heat will be your best friend when it comes to removing the rubber undercoating. When I sandblasted portions of my undercarriage it removed it pretty good.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Smeezor

Awesome, I wish I had the time and space to put my car on a rack and totally clean it up.
Where does one/did you get such a fiendish device anyway?
Best of luck!
Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Just bought the raw steel and we're going to weld it up. Basically you bolt it onto the front and rear and support it on engine stands. Seach the forms and you'll find quite a few people here have made them.

ORIGINAL: Smeezor

Awesome, I wish I had the time and space to put my car on a rack and totally clean it up.
Where does one/did you get such a fiendish device anyway?
Best of luck!
Old 04-05-2008, 07:35 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Keep in mind the center of gravity, its like if you put a pipe thru the gas filler hole and run it thru the center of the car (about 10" up from the front bumper mount bolt center to the hinge point on the rotisserie). This will be very close, and you will be able toturnthe shellwith one hand. Also, you need locks every 22.5* to have comfortable working positions (like sitting in a chair). The engine stands scare me and you can probably buy enough steel for near the cost of the stands to build it right.