Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

how to use nitrous without carb injector plate?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:07 AM
tgrine

Default how to use nitrous without carb injector plate?

I want to start thinking about a custom nitrous set up for a triple carb, what ways can this be done? I want to stay away from the injector plate idea because there isn't one available for the 1100 weber.

What are the other ways it can be done?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 AM
majpain78
1st Gear Member

Default RE: how to use nitrous without carb injector plate?

you can go with a fogger system that requires drilling a few holes in your intake manifold but it works real well
Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 AM
tgrine

Ah ok. Any recomendation for amount of nozzles with a tripple carb?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:17 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Foggers that spray directly into the intake runners. Many people who run dual stages use a plate and foggers. I do not know much about it, so maybe someone can outline the benifits of each.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:06 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

You need 8. One for each runner. It is better than a plate. Direct port injection is closer to the valve. And since nitrous boils @ room temp, it gives the nitrous less time to expand. So it will take less volume in the cylinder making more HP for the same amount of nitrous.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:30 AM
tgrine

My engine is the straight six with the log head, however the triple carb intake has been machined onto it. so does that mean the holes should still be put into the six intake runners?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:53 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

What would be the point to nitrous and the 6 banger? Just drop an 8 into it......
Old 02-27-2008, 09:05 AM
tgrine

just to make it fun. lighter. its getting stroked, bored, camshaft, triple carbs, headers all the usual stuff. building the motor stronger and was thinking about nitrous
Old 02-27-2008, 10:01 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

tgrine, yes you want to install a wet nitrous fogger kit in each of the intake runners, which would be six of them if you have a six cylinder. The wet nitrous system allows you to run regular a/f ratio without NOS and then add fuel with the NOS when you hit the button to keep your A/F correct. Dry nitous systems will run you lean when you hit the button so stay away from that. If you want to play with NOS, make sure you are installing heavy duty parts. You are going to need forged pistons, rods, and crank. In FSB, you also can install a main girdle, but I am not sure what is available for the six. If you are installing much nitrous, you may need to upgrade your fuel delivery system so you do not run low on fuel when the button is pressed which will also cause a lean condition. For big shots, you typically install a seperate fuel line, pump, and regulatorjust for the NOS system. Running lean will melt your motor, which is why NOS gets a bad name.

How big a shot are you wanting to put in?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:58 PM
tgrine

I'm not wanting to go super big right away 50-100 or something just to start it out. I've already got the forged pistons, rods, and crank so I'm alright there. I have a 89 GT 5.0 that has nos direct injection, but I got it that way. The previos owner used it a lot at the track, and the motor is a strongly built 302 and he put 150 into it. I've never used it, but want to. I figured I'd learn how to put it into a car before I start using the car that already has it. The system in the GT has the bottle warmer, electric bottle opener, purge kit, and when its on, it just comes on over 4500 rpms. I'm not sure how much it would cost or what I should buy if I wanted to do a similar thing to the six cylinder. Several hot rod magazines have pumped loads of nos into the 200 just to see how much it could take and it did several pulls before it blew, at a higher number than I want. (They didn't have the forged pistons or anything also)