Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Which brand of tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:14 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Default Which brand of tires?

I had this posted over in the tire section but no one ever looks or responds there so I'll post this here.

I am close to buying new tires for my wheels that are due here Wednesday. I am almost sold on the Goodyear GS-D3. I was also looking at the BF goodrich G-Force T/A KDW. Am I overlooking any other KA tire that I would prefer? I am only going to be driving in the dry/rain no snow or ice, it is a 67 afterall. Any suggestions or should I stick with the goodyears? All the reviews have been awesome, nothing bad or negative to say. Also, I'm not looking for a real long life tire, I mean that would be nice but that is at the bottom of the list. I want performance and looks before durability. Any suggestions would be great.

This is the wheel.

[IMG]local://upfiles/79444/78A1E58D0C634742B14555B567B61F23.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Which brand of tires?

I am a fan of the BFG Radial TA's. They look great, handle pretty well. But they SUCK in the wet, bigtime.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:42 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

I was going to say, most muscle cars run BFG's. I'm not sure how they are in the rain,cause I don't drive my car in the rain. If you are going to drive in the rain, you may want to go with Toyos or Yokahamas. They are both good brands. But I still like the BFG's.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Radial T/A's, while good looking tires, unfortunately do not perform anything like a modern performance tire, wet or dry. They're not bad for an S-rated tire, but not great either.

The BFG G-Force KDW's are almost equivalent to the performance ofGS-D3's...but not quite. My roommate had a '97 WS6 Trans Am with GS-D3's on it and they had a ridiculous amount of traction. They did pretty well in the rain, too, especially for an ultra high performance tire. Definitely did better than my Radial T/A's

Just don't expect them to last very long, they're very soft.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

I am a fan of the BFG Radial TA's. They look great, handle pretty well. But they SUCK in the wet, bigtime.
You do realize that the TA isn't even in the same league as the tire's mentioned in the original post right?

To the point of the question I run BFG KDR which I believe are inheritly the same as the KDW. They certainly perform better than the Nitto 555s I had on it previously in every way shape and form. I still smoke them at will though...they aren't slicks/drag radials so if you have a high HP application they will still take a little getting used to in order to understand how to successfully apply power at the right gradient in order to achieve forward movement and not a smokey stand still. They are to date the best tire I have been able to start fast on in street applications.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

falken azenis rt-615are crazy tires, they grip insanely well and last for ever. there only around 70 bucks a pop as well. we run them on my race car and the look awesome as well, they feature soft compound, with a very stiff sidewall

http://www.falkentire.com/#/Tires/Motorsports/
Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i was lookin at some riken raptors (made by michelin) for my 06, they are less than 100 bucks a tire and they have a pretty good looking tread pattern for rain.

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop...+ZR&season

just a quick link i found via google search, not nessecarily the best place to buy from.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:07 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I have the KDW new tread design and they get great reviews and look better than any tire on the market as far as I am concerned. I have not had the car on the road yet so I can't give you first hand experience. I have heard they are a little noisy but I don't care since my car is a convertible. It will be noisy anyways.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

You do realize that the TA isn't even in the same league as the tire's mentioned in the original post right?

Yup, just giving another option. I have learned tons of stuff here from people not directly answering my question, but instead kinda answering in a different direction.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM
mojocat27
1st Gear Member

What about the white lettered cooper cobra???

Quick Reply: Which brand of tires?