Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Floorpan / r/r quarter install

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:56 PM
65ACode

Default Floorpan / r/r quarter install

New to forum, glade to have found it.
I recently picked up a 65 coupe - which is from the south so its in pretty good shape.
Just have to do a couple body panels. Im looking for any insite or pics or link with info on how to install a set of floor pans (full length) and if possible the r/r quarter panel skin. I have the basic idea, just would like to have a couple references I guess.
Thanks for the help!
Old 03-01-2008, 04:44 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Floorpan / r/r quarter install

Welcome to the forum. Let's see some pictures of the car. Here is a link to Mustang Monthly's 66 resto. I don't know if it has floor pans but there is bound to be stuff here than will help you sooner or later.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/projec...ect/index.html
Old 03-04-2008, 06:35 PM
65ACode

I will hopefully get some pics in soon.
It is just sitting as a body right now in the garage.

Does anyone else have any personal experiance/pics with this process.
Plan to start this weekend - so we will see how it goes
Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I've replaced damn near everything metal on mine. You can view my sig link to pics and it shows some progress. Main thing is not to weld in a continuous bead all the way around. Tack it in around the entire perimeter of the piece first, then go back and weld it in. That way, you don't deform the metal from heat and have fitment issues. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:29 PM
65ACode

Zemetal -
It looks like you used a quarter skin - which is what I picked up. Any insite on installing that - from the pics, it looks like you made the seam about 2" down from the body line - corrct?
Thanks for the help
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I didn't want to get too clost to the body line and screw it up. I saw somewhere on the web of a shoip doing it that way. If you google replacing a quarter panel, you can find all kinds of helpful pics and tips.
http://www.together.net/~manycj/mustang/mustang4.htm

After cutting out most of the existing panel, leaving about 6-8 inches of metal down from the body line, I layed the panel over the existing panel, fit it the best I could, used sheet metal self tappers, attached the new skin to the old and using a cutoff wheel, I cut about a 6 inch long section at a time, starting in the middle of the panel. I would peel back the metal and tack weld it, very slowly spacing the tacks about and inch apart. I would repeat that process untill I was all the way down on each side-to the door and to the trunk area. Then I went back and tack welded in between each existing spot weld, very slowly, too much heat and it will warp. Repeat the process untill you have a solid weld made from a bunch of tack welds. Remove the screws as you tack weld the panel into place. This is the method I saw on the web and it worked well. The process was on a barracude or old challenger or something. I tried to find it but it may have been removed. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

I don't have to do floors but I did have to do the rear quarter. Count on having to replace the wheelhouse as well. Depending on your rust areas you may need to replace the outer trunk dropoff section.

https://mustangforums.com/m_4602027/tm.htm