Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Random Question (Wire Tape)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default Random Question (Wire Tape)

When I pull the old Cleveland out and put the new Dart stroker in, I want to clean up the wiring. I have used electrical tape in the past, along with plastic wire wrap. My problem is the the electrical tape always gets gooey and falls off after a month or two. The factory type tape works so much better. Any idea where to get that stuff?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
ericdk5.0
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Random Question (Wire Tape)

If you know anybody that's an Aircraft mechanic ask them about the electical tape that they use. Its more like rubber and it sticks to itself instead of using adhesive.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

It is kind of a funny thing. I have used black tape in the past with similar gooeyresults... When I have used colored electrical tape available at Lowe's or Home Depot, I have not had this problem.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

You can get most any kind of tape from electrical supply stores. They might carry what your looking for or something close without that gooey stuff. Seems like when it heats up, the standard black tape does become gooeyfied. The rubber stuff that stickes to itself is "activated"when you pull it and stretch it and when it tries to return to it's normal size, it grabs itself and sticks. Does that make sense? What about zip ties? with the plastic black corrugated tubing?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Glazier's sells the appropriate wiring harness tape. It's a thicker, more textured tape that doesn't get all gooey.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

painless has this wire wrap thats pretty neat, its like hard fiber that keeps out liquid but its pretty flexible. too bad its like $50 for 3 ft or something like taht
Old 03-03-2008, 02:34 PM
elaudtr

My uncle installs high-end stereo systems. He has been in the audiobusiness for 12 years. He highly recommends 3M electrical tape, only. I have used it without any problems. I found the tape at Napa Auto Parts for less than $10.

National Parts Depot carries electrical tape that does not have adhesive. This tape installs with tension. They also carry a cloth-like tape that is used in some areas of older cars.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Ionly use 3M electrical tape and believe me when I tell you it gets sticky and turns loose too. My old bronco has some orginal style tape that is almost hard and still in place after 20 years. That is what I need.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The original tape is what I was talking about. It's a cloth tape instead of vinyl. Vinyl electrical tape is not designed for heat at all.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Do you have a web site or telephone number for the distributor?

Quick Reply: Random Question (Wire Tape)