Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What TEMP is your car running at? How 'bout Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What TEMP is your car running at? How 'bout Oil Pressure?

Thanks for the input, all.
There is a guy at Kragen Auto Parts locally that I really feel is a good mechanic...
I was talking to him about this and he felt that I probably shouldn't fool with the Tstat right now... He thought that the temp was fine.
He knows old cars but I dont think he knows much about stroker kits...

I don't know what to do... I was out cruising today and it was running about 170-5.

At any rate, If you were to replace your Tstat, would you get a new gasket in there or use the old one? (I replaced the Thermostat housing gasket about 6 months ago/1500 miles)
Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't trust 99% of Kragen employees for auto advice. Sorry to anyone that actually works there, but for the most part Kragen, AutoZone, etc employees don't know jack about cars, they just think they do.

There is no reason not to swap to the 180 t-stat now. 170 is way too cold for that engine, and is actually bad for it long-term. Personally, I'd put a 195 high-flow unit in, but a standard 180 will probably be ok too.

And yes, you do need a new gasket. 70 cents isn't worth a possible leak.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Starfury

180 is too cold for these engines. Running the engine that cold is creating a lot of quench in the combustion chamber increasing the amount of carbon buildup. The factory t-stat was a 192/195 for a reason. 190-210 is good operating temp.
There are actually two different specs for the factory thermostat, a high and low spec, though it doesn't specify the application for either. A 180* thermostat certainly seems appropriate based on the book. FWIW, with a 180* thermostat, my guage reads 2/3rds to 3/4ths the way towards 'H'.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 AM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys.
I am going to put in a 180 Tstat. The guy at Kragen that I have relied on has walked me through quite a few small projects with no trouble and claims to have spent 15 years as a mechanic. That is why I have sought out advice from him. But like I said, I dont think he has much, if any experience with stroker engines.

Tad, you've got a stroker and the consensus here agrees with you that it should be running hotter. I am afraid that if I put in a Tstat over 180, come Summer, my car is going to be TOO hot. So the different size tstat will still fit in the same sized housing, right?

While I am working through this, one other question comes to mind... I have been planning on changing my oil from 10W-30 Mobil 1 to something heavier... Should I see how that affects my operating temp before swapping the Tstat or will that be irrelevant?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

Technically, the thermostat should be the same "size", it will just operate at a higher temperature. So yes, a 180* will work just fine (assuming it is for a small block ford application).

I would think the oil pressure would be affected more than engine temp with the viscosity change, I wouldn't worry about it affecting your temps.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Running a colder t-stat isn't going to prevent the car from overheating. Assuming the cooling system is adequate for the engine, all the t-stat does is limit the minimum operating temperature of the engine. I have a high-flow 195 in mine and it runs 195-205 most of the time, barely touching on 210 at idle in traffic.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:53 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

One more question.... Starfury you've got me wondering about the high-flow Tstat... Does it just open wider? Any brand name recommendations for this change?

Just out of curiousity, what sort of climate do you live in/drive your stang? I am only asking because i am in the bay area (CA) and my car is rarely driven in temps above 80 or below 60. So maybe I should think about going with the high-flow 195 you are talkikng about..........

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

No problem cruising over to Santa Cruz with a 195*.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I live in San Luis Obispo, so generally 60-85F,but I've driven my car in Stockton in 110F heat with no problems.

The high-flow t-stats flow much better than a standard unit, and they tend to be better quality, meaning the open when they're supposed to. I had a standard 195 in my car at one point and I wasn't getting anywhere near enough cooling power with it. The car would run at 210 on the freeway and creep up in traffic. I initially dumped a high-flow165 in it, but it wouldn't ever get above 180*(which I assume is the point where it was fully open). The high flow 195 I have in it works great.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

This is great stuff, guys.
Obviously I need to loosen up with my concerns about the heat of my engine. I feel like its been ingrained in me to be concerned about overheating. But clearly my cooling system is doing its job, so I just need to give the engine the freedom to warm up to its ideal operating temp.

...I know my questions are endless but ....I see that Year One has a high flow "Be Cool" thermostat ... 195* for $21.95. I wonder if I could find this at a local auto parts joint or if I need to order it up...

Quick Reply: What TEMP is your car running at? How 'bout Oil Pressure?