Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Accel, Pertronix, Mallory, Crane, etc.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Ogre
2nd Gear Member

Default Accel, Pertronix, Mallory, Crane, etc.

Who makes the best electronic ignition conversion kits? It seems like most people use the Pertronix, but I was looking at the Accel 2020. Anyone here use it?

Accel 2020 is the least expensive from what I have found at $33.00.

I was reading a article on another Mustang forum/site, but couldn't finish reading it without a subscription. They were talking about the Pertronix, Crane, and Mallory units. From what I did read, it basically sounded like they thought the Pertronix was overpriced, especially compared to the others.

It seems like a lot of people on these forums have trouble with the Pertronix, but that could be because of the larger number of people that use them.

What is the general opinion of these all these units?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 AM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Accel, Pertronix, Mallory, Crane, etc.

Personally, I've never had good luck with Accel products. However, I've only used their coils, and points.

Not much help I know, just my $.02.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

same thing for me, even the accel wires suck! Crane is a real pain, Mallory is just old technology, pertronix is simple and can be done in 30min so its worth the price.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

I have the Pertronix FlameThrower II and Ignitor II installed [just last night!]. I haven't gotten my engine to start up but it tries to turn over nice. I haven't heard anything bad about Pertronix yet. I'm new to working on cars myself and I was able to do the install. Pretty easy. The most challenging part was fitting the wire connector through the hole in the side of my distributor.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

retro: what wire?
when you're getting the flamethrower coil and distri, then you only have to connect the distris 2 cables to the coil and thats a lovely job done ?!

Ogre:
----> It seems like a lot of people on these forums have trouble with the Pertronix, but that could be because of the larger number of people that use them.

I believe the same.
MSD ignition seems to be the best but at the same time it's the most expensive.
Friend of mine bought a cheaper GM distri with coil on top I put in for him. works good as well, but it looks horrible and you can't get the airfilter back on ....
I took as well the Pertronix Flametrower II distri together with the coil. It looks good (coil still seperate) and performs good.
It is more than what you need on a street driven car and miles better to any points system as well on the mpg side.

I had a prob at the start with it. they forgot to correctly fix the ground wire inside the distributor (from "braker plate" to ignitor module). So my ignition was cutting out every now and again. But once i found it it was an easy fix ...

If I had to buy another one I'd probably go for the same again or spend even more money on a MSD.

I have no experience with any of the others, so I can't
tell
Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 AM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

Ya the connectors for the wires that go from the Ignitor module are bigger than the hole in the side of my distributer. I had to smash them, then reshape them after I fished them through.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Ogre
2nd Gear Member

CPRstreetmachines,

So you used the Accel electronic ignition and had problems with it?

Which Pertronix do you use the first or II?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Ford made the best

I've got the Duraspark II, with an MSD 6A box on it, and the GM HEI module.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Ogre
2nd Gear Member

Retro77,

I have heard bad things on forums concerning Pertronix II, I think and not the first one. IIRC, some people have got bad kits right out of the box and had to get replacements. I remember one person got so ticked off, he went back to the original points and condensor. I have also heard of people leaving their ignition on and frying something to do with Pertronix.

Bottom line, there are issues. But, like I said before, with that many people using them, the odds of some bad ones or bad installs will happen.

Have you got yours started yet?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:53 AM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

Wow that would suck. I think my issues are related to fuel now. The car has been sitting for about a year. I put some fresh gas in last night. it might have had gas still in the carb...who knows. I'll try putting a small amount directly in the carb to see if I can get it to at least try to fire up. One of the previous owners put a crappy carb that I cant even identify on it. Not sure of its condition.

edit: pictures of the carb...
edit: edit: Google FTW...its an Autolite 4100:
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar.../photo_23.html

[IMG]local://upfiles/91681/E782076171B446DF887FA7673A56798C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/91681/C36334AE96C24D63B2BF2934B361CBFF.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accel, Pertronix, Mallory, Crane, etc.