Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

need opinions on pro-comp vs patriot aluminum heads.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Passing Time
1st Gear Member

Default need opinions on pro-comp vs patriot aluminum heads.

I've decided to add aluminum heads to my rebuild. Building the stock 289 heads treated to a mild exhaust port is going to run about $500. I see that new small chamber/assembled pro comp heads run about $775 and Patriot heads $875.

I was hoping for opinions on each. I've heard good things about Patriot,but what about Pro-comp?

Also, I've heard some good things about the Australian made aluminum heads.

SHOWER ME WITH YOUR WISDOM!!!!!

thanks, BRAD

Old 03-07-2008, 07:04 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: need opinions on pro-comp vs patriot aluminum heads.

pro-comps are absolutely worthless.

the patriots i have heard mixed reviews. i saw pics of a set that looked like it had been hack job ported and they supposedly came that way - but then others responded to that very thread and said they had a set that were not ported in any way and looked fine. some say the hardware quality is lacking, but i expect them to be using budget springs and valves for that price.

bottom line is i would pick the patriots outta the two, and i would have them tore down and touched up a little bit. then you know everything is setup properly and is assembled the way it needs to be.

another route is to go with some GT40P heads from tristatecylinderheads for 600 bucks that come with bigger valves and stiffer springs.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

I'd shy away from the P heads because of problems you may run into trying to find headers to fit. The Pro Comps and Patriots both suck. The pro comp barely flow above stock, and these are picks of the patriots. http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=43122
I'd go with pro comps I guess, if I HAD to choose.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cprstreetmachines

I'd shy away from the P heads because of problems you may run into trying to find headers to fit.
+1. The only copmanies I know of that make P headers for classics are FPA, Doug Thorley, and I think Doug's Headers, all of which are very expensive (although very nice).

You may take a look at the World Products Windsor Jr's. $800 for bolt-ons, and they flow better out of the box than stock heads with a decent port job. They're not going to flow as well as Edelbrocks, Trick Flows, AFR's, etc, but they're cheaper and they flow well for cast iron. And you could always do some porting to really open them up if you wanted to
Old 03-07-2008, 07:58 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Just spend the money and get a good set of heads like AFRs or Edelbrocks etc. With heads you really get what you pay for. Better port design, and better chamber design = better power.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 PM
ky
America ftw

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

Just spend the money and get a good set of heads like AFRs or Edelbrocks etc. With heads you really get what you pay for. Better port design, and better chamber design = better power.
+1.

im deciding on heads for my 302 right now. all the afr/summit/eddlbrock come in large valves. and since i assembled my short block without picking out heads, im stuck with finding some with small valves. so im getting the GT40 aluminum heads with the stock 64cc chamber. cause i dont have a way to check my piston valve clearence so i gotta get the small valve.

i really really want some aluminum heads cause i like the look 100x better than the iron ones.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-18-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Even a "small" head like an AFR 165 is still capable of supporting quite a bit of power. And with a 1.90/1.60 valve arrangement, they work well with stock type bottom ends, provided the camshaft isn't crazy.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 PM
ky
America ftw

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

Even a "small" head like an AFR 165 is still capable of supporting quite a bit of power. And with a 1.90/1.60 valve arrangement, they work well with stock type bottom ends, provided the camshaft isn't crazy.
gt40 heads. most of the other aluminum heads ive seen all come with like 2.06 or something intakes
Old 03-07-2008, 08:58 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Most of the bigger valve stuff is generally 2.02, but AFR 165's, Edelbrock Performers, Dart 170's and a few others are all good heads and are offered with either 1.90 or 1.94 intake valves. TFS TW's use the 2.02 but the change in valve placement/angle allows them to usually fit stock type bottom ends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need opinions on pro-comp vs patriot aluminum heads.