Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

PAINT choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:30 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: PAINT choices

quesey, why is there one pid of it with the hood scoop, and one without? or is it just me.....
btw, looks great!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:48 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I wanted to paint mine the original factory color, Silver Blue. Looking at cars that color at the local car shows, I came to the conclusion that it looked really good when done correct, yet looked kind of 'wuss' when done poorly. Based on my non-scientific observation that it was about a 50-50 proposition, I opted for a different blue from '65, Caspian Blue. My advice is to see a car, preferably the same year Mustang, painted the color you want rather than take a chance out of a color book.

Good luck!
Jeff

Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gothand

I wanted to paint mine the original factory color, Silver Blue. Looking at cars that color at the local car shows, I came to the conclusion that it looked really good when done correct, yet looked kind of 'wuss' when done poorly. Based on my non-scientific observation that it was about a 50-50 proposition, I opted for a different blue from '65, Caspian Blue. My advice is to see a car, preferably the same year Mustang, painted the color you want rather than take a chance out of a color book.

Good luck!
Jeff

Just for the record.... that is one SWEET color.
my wife really likes candy apple red, but the paint guy is saying more $$$ for that color since red is a combo of so many colors... blAH BLAH BLAH $$$ BLAH BLAH BLAH $$$

I THINK The WIFE IS LEANING TOWARDS silver
Old 03-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm shooting for (eventually) a darker version of Nightmist Blue. Similar to what quesey's got, but I want mine really, really dark. In my paint class last year I mixed up a batch of Nightmist Blue, then added some extra black and a hair more fine metal flake and sprayed my computer case with it, turned out great.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I know what you mean about colors - I want red on my 70 Fastback - soon to be semi Boss clone. In NW Indiana not too many other mustangs to see what original color would look like - I think I have seen 2 other 69/70s at local cruise night. Both need a paint job.

I've resorted to looking at new cars and finding a color I like. Leaning toward Red I've seen on new Dakotas. Not lipsticky - but not too dark either.Unless you are going concourse or concernedorginality (rare car) I would not worry about it. Who is going toknow but a few of us Mustang fanatics.

I would not go by mags or pictures alone - lighting of picture has a lot to do with it. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 PM
quesey
1st Gear Member

no its not you we had just rolled it out of the paintbooth still did'nt have scoops on it we just sit it on for the pictures they are finishing it up tonight and i'm picking it up tomorrow and thanks i love the color in person it even better had everyony wondering about it till they see it all on the car
ORIGINAL: racin66coupe

quesey, why is there one pid of it with the hood scoop, and one without? or is it just me.....
btw, looks great!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

Here is my paint: the 1989 corvette red and I love it

Old 03-14-2008, 06:41 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

It took me a LONG time to decide. First I wanted green, then white, then black, then silver, then white again, and so on. Then one day I saw a Z06 driving down the road and BAM, I found my color. Daytona Sunset.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 PM
88Mach1
3rd Gear Member

i knew i wanted a somewhat flashy color for my car. i decided bright yellow was pretty flashy. except i didn't want an all yellow car, so i decided 2 black racing stripes would look pretty cool.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Ours was redone in the new ford version of the original color. They released it for two years on the mustangs in 05-06. Simple choice, the pseudo-original color.

Quick Reply: PAINT choices