Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Is this a good RO sander for paint removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Default Is this a good RO sander for paint removal?

I hope to get more accurate results from classics-only guys, thus why I posted this in the Classics section...

I'll be stripping (and painting) my '66 soon. I've looked around and found that the best method for paint removal seems to be with a random orbital sander.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...m+orbit+sander

Is the RPM of that sander ok? Not too high?

I've read to start out at about 24 grit and then move up to 220 once I start seeing metal, does this sound ok? What grit should I go to next and/or what grit should I end with before painting?

What should I do about paint removal in doorjam? Thanks everyone

Old 03-12-2008, 07:43 AM
quesey
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is this a good RO sander for paint removal?

you have pm
Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I have never used an electric Dual Action or Random Orbitalsander, just air... But to me it looks like that thing will work fine. The price is low enough that I would expect to use up at least one sander in the course of sanding a car! IMO the RPM on a D/A sander can never be too high...

In my opinion, unless you are roughing in some body filler, or removing some really nasty clumpy rust or debris,24 or 36 grit is way too rough and will cause more work in the long run than just starting with 80 grit.

If you are going to bare metal I say start with 80 grit, it will cut the old finish pretty quickly... if you are not going to bare metal start with 220...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

i would skip the sander all together, if you are inexperienced, you can quickly destroy the body lines with a 36 grit.

I ALWAYS use some aircraft stripper and chemically all the paint first, then hit it with a DA and 80 to 220 grit.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: JMD

I have never used an electric Dual Action or Random Orbitalsander, just air... But to me it looks like that thing will work fine. The price is low enough that I would expect to use up at least one sander in the course of sanding a car! IMO the RPM on a D/A sander can never be too high...

In my opinion, unless you are roughing in some body filler, or removing some really nasty clumpy rust or debris,24 or 36 grit is way too rough and will cause more work in the long run than just starting with 80 grit.

If you are going to bare metal I say start with 80 grit, it will cut the old finish pretty quickly... if you are not going to bare metal start with 220...
i disagree you can burn up the paper, i personally would go air if you have a compressor and hutchin d/a at that lot less strain on you.

if i was doing large areas id definitely go paint stripper on it though
Old 03-12-2008, 02:30 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I will defer to your expertise and say that I have never had a D/A turn too fast!

And for sure an air powered D/A is best providing a person has enough air to run one.....

I find that a "real" 7.5 HP compressor is barely adequate....
Old 03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

think of in these terms you turn a drill bit to fast it burns it up,same with the sand paper, ive got a 2 stage 80 gallon compressor for the house at work we had about 3 large compressors maybe 4[&:]
Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

In my eyes, the chemical paint remover is much more exspensive. A couple containers of remover vs. a bunch of sanding disks?

I also chose that Craftsman electric because it has a warranty. We do have an industrial air compressor that is big enough to tackle any tool. If someone would link to a reasonably-priced pneumatic sander, I'll consider . .
Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM
colostang
2nd Gear Member

I have alot of experience with these sanders and you will be much happier with http://www.toolking.com/dewalt_dw421.aspx. It is more ergonomic and dependable. Craftsman power tools just aren't as well built in my experience. It is a big job, so a good tool is needed IMO.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 350kmileFord

In my eyes, the chemical paint remover is much more expensive. A couple containers of remover vs. a bunch of sanding disks?

I also chose that Craftsman electric because it has a warranty. We do have an industrial air compressor that is big enough to tackle any tool. If someone would link to a reasonably-priced pneumatic sander, I'll consider . .
I have worn out a ton of these....

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=311A

They are good and will totally and completelysandmaybe 3 or 4 carsbefore they die... You will not wear this out sanding one car I promise... and they are quite rugged to boot, while I wore lots of these out, I never did really break one.. After extended use the plastic covers will break, and the "trigger" for the air valve will break from viberation.... then they stop working altogethershortly thereafter...

You will need to spend another $8 to $12 on agood sanding pad though... the ones that come with the sander just suck...

I have bought cheaper sanders, and I have bought more expensive sanders,IMO these are a pretty good value.

If you have a big compressor, this is probably a better, or at least a more suredirection to go than the electric. You should be able to get an IR tool like this for a little better price if you shop around.

Quick Reply: Is this a good RO sander for paint removal?