Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

tell me what its worth

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:06 PM
legendaryben

Default tell me what its worth

I am thinking about selling my 68 mustang coupe. It has been my project for about 8 years now and I hate to sell...but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. So here are some of the details,
When we started restoring thecar Ibecame very good friends with acar painter...hetook great care of me.He is an excellent body man, this car has VERY little bondo, All dents were pulled and ALL rust was fixed, new quarter panels, floor boards, and trunk pan. Then we got trickey. Car is a blue pearl, with "Ghost Flames" hidden in the paint. you can not feel them, and they are very suttle but show up great in certain light. Very unique.

When we had the car stripped down for paint we also gutted the interior and under coated everything for sound fixed the floor pan rust, and then installed almost everything new. Headliner, dash, guages, stereo, steering wheel, seat upolstry, carpet,...etc.

It has a rebuilt 289, built healthy...comp cam, crane valve springs, 10.5/1 pistons (ok on pump gas), alum. intake, 4 barrol carb, hedman headers, borla exhaust. Motor has around 5,000miles sence rebuild.

I recently put in a Tremec 5 speed with hurst shifter and ford racing clutch.

It has a ford 9" rear with 3.90 gears, posi, and 31spline Strange Engeneriing axles. and traction bars.

Also has Weld brand aluminum wheels.

Any more questions just ask. I am not sure what it is worth...I've been told because of the custom paint it could go for above 15k but I'm looking for more opinions...or offers if your interested. Car is located in MT but I know a shipping company so Icould have it delivered just about anywhere.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:12 PM
legendaryben

Default RE: tell me what its worth

trying to get pics to post
Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

engine bay pics!!! need them!! but dunno ...they say there's an as* for every seat so find the right as* and it could fetch 10 k depending on the cleanliness of engine bay and undercarriage.... my 66 needed a motor rebuild and frame rails and tranny rebuilt but body and floor pans were imaculate and I paid 8500
Old 03-16-2008, 09:13 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

Engine bay pics and any undercarriage pics would definitely be helpful... No question, that is one beautiful Mustang. I would think the biggest challenge for you in selling that car is going to be connecting with the person who has cash and is willing to pay what that car is probably worth. I would figure out what it would cost to ship to various locations and advertise it in other places with the total shipping costs factored into the price somehow.
Basically what I am getting at... Here in the San Francisco area, a car that nice, with as little rust as you say... would sell for $13-15k. If the engine bay and undercarriage is really clean, maybe more. It's tough selling a car like that without a large buyers pool...in a place like Montana (I love MT, btw...esp Western MT) ...I would put it up on Craigslist in someplace like LA or SF at $16k ...and dont mention where the car is located at and see what kind of responses you get... If you get bombarded with emails, its a good thing. If not, lower the price and try again.

Just remember that with the economy struggling in most major US metro areas right now, people are holding onto their money a little tighter. The market price for these classic American cars has cooled off a bit ....which is good for buyers, not for sellers.

Let us know when you decide on a price... you never know, I may be interested!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:58 PM
legendaryben

I added a pic of the hood that shows the flames, Ill try to get some pics of the engine compt. and undercarrage in the next couple days. Thanks for any input you have.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:09 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Its only worth about $200, but ill give you $300 today

Thats a sweet mustang, I would definitely sell it slowly. There will be someone who comes along and really likes the paint and stuff, and you should be able to get more then 10k out of it fairly easily.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I got a dumb question, hows come your rocker moldings are on upside down? It looks really freaky man!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:27 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I still want to know what the deal is with the upside down rocker moldings!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Seabee
2nd Gear Member

i want ur car, if u can hold it untill i get back from afghanistan i would love to take it off ur hands. i dont come back tho untill right b4 christmas 09
Old 03-19-2008, 01:35 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Get some Armorall and a bucket and soap and clean up the interior. When selling put your best foot forward.
It does make a difference. As for the market shrinking, not if you open it up to international buyers. But be
very wary of how the deal is done and be aware of scams. No bank or any type of cheques, no partial payments,
just stick with bank transfers, and even then tell them that the car will ship two weeks after the money has cleared
and then only to a business or residential address that you can verify via a phone number or through another company.
I think you should get US$15K for the car, maybe even a bit more after a detail.

Good luck!

Jav

Quick Reply: tell me what its worth