Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Now What...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 AM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

Default Now What...

I have a huge list of things that my Mustang needs to be on the road. Its been sitting for a year or two. This weekend I got it to start up. It was great hearing it roar to life! I want to make sure the engine is ok. I know I have an exhaust leak on the passenger side. I can't remember if your supposed to use gaskets on manifolds or headers. I have manifolds on there now and they dont look like the right thing. It looks like there are bolts missing and it just seems like manifold was not made to fit on this engine.

I know I need to check the timing. It seemed to run smooth. The engine wasnt shaking all over the place. Sounded nice!

I was going to drop the oil and replace it. I replaced it when I bought the car [almost 2 years ago] and after the oil drained out there was a grey sludge too.

I put in antifreeze, but forgot to dilute it, any suggestions? Also there was a rust residue when I put my finger in there before. After the car was off, it seemed to steam on the driver side. Not sure if that is just dust, cob webs and rat crap burning up or if there is something else there to look at. I checked the antifreeze level and it hadnt gone down at all. Is there a way to verify if the water pump is working? I dont want to seize my engine! Its the original 390.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:50 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Now What...

I would flush the radiator and engine. Coolent is not too expensive and a good flush will do it good. If your manifolds are missing bollts, then they may leak. Check your hoses for leaks that will happen when the engine is hot and they are under pressure. Be careful not to get burned. A oil change will not hurt either.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I think the best bet would be to take it to a local shop and have them look over everything and she what she could use. Take it to an individually-owned shop, not some chain-store.

If it was mine and it had sat that long, I would flush all the fluids and refill them. See if the shop can do antifreeze, powersteering, brake, oil, transmission, and differential flush and refill. Perhaps if you get all of them at once, they could give you a discount cuz thats pretty much everything all at once.

I work for my father who owns a shop and I know if you were to come in, we would diagnosis everything for free. So see what the local professionals can do for you first...
Old 03-17-2008, 12:55 PM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

Cool, thanks guys. I'm gonna try and do what I can on my own. Since its not street worthy and renting a trailer is another expense. Looks like I need to buy some of those plastic containers to drain stuff into.

Fun fun!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:58 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Just remember if you drain it yourself, your not going to getALL of it out. Like the antifreeze, you can get it out of the radiator, but its still in the engine/hose/heater/etc. There are machines that suck everything out