Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fix for binding 67-68 front windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 PM
woodywrkng

Default Fix for binding 67-68 front windows

A few years ago I replaced the front window regulators in my 67 coupe, and cleaned long horizontal track on the bottom of the window frame, thinking this would make the windows crank easier. This helped a little, but not enough, so yesterday I ripped (gently removed) nearly everything from the 41 year old door and have found something that doesn't seem to be mentioned on either this forum or anywhere else on the internet that I could find. Chances are you guys who have fully restored your rides have seen this however.

Knowing that the front of the window rides in a fuzzy track, which has been replaced, I wondered what guides the rear of the window. To find out, begin by removing the regulator. I'll assume you know how to do this, as it's been covered before. If you're patient and careful, you can get it out without removing the long horizontal track on the window frame, but you may have to remove the short track mounted on the rear half of the inner door skin. Next, remove the two bolts and one nut which I'm pointing at in the first two photos, which hold in the rear vertical track.

Assuming the pictures made it through (first time), and you've removed the bolts and nut, drop the window as far down as possible and remove both pieces of beltline weatherstripping at the top of the door. Now you'll need to wrestle the vertical track off the window frame. Take your time, I did it, so you can too. When the track comes off the rollers which are on the window frame, which you cannot see, the window will come out the top where the weatherstripping was, and the rear vertical track can be fished out of the big hole in the inner door skin.

The next picture shows the top of the vertical track, minus 8 ounces of crud. The following picture shows the bottom of the window frame where two nylon rollers resided. These rollers were full-o-gunk, and were attached to the window frame in the manner of a rivet, which over the years had loosened and now wobbled.

My fix for the looseness was to remove the steel axle of both nylon rollers, drill a hole through the center, countersink the big end, and attach the steel axle back to the door using 10/24 flat head machine screws, double nutted on the rear so it never comes loose. The nylon rollers and steel axel things are shown in the last poorly taken picture.

Now, put it all back together.........somehow.

[IMG]local://upfiles/65603/9EE14F8AF11F4A4186B30CF20FB76328.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/65603/432439D1341147F8A7C6344189D49D18.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/65603/5B5623B24EBD4BCDBB021EF0B3520F2F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/65603/62D69C138776430C9DBE504645C096B9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/65603/BCD230D56A6D420FA5172619BF93A2D9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
woodywrkng

Default RE: Fix for binding 67-68 front windows

Oh, one more thing. After removing the beltline weatherstripping, to get the window off the rear vertical track, lift the window up as far as possible, while yanking the track down as much as you can. It's tough, but can be done.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
67TXStang

I replaced the regulator in the driver door of my 1967 Mustang a few months ago. The window will now roll up and down just fine. However, if I roll the window all the way up and attempt to shut the door, the back part of the window will hit the quarter window.

I read my shop manual, loosened about eight bolts, and started trying to shift the window forward but was not successful. It seems about 1/4" too far back when rolled up but only at the top back corner. At this point, I just keep the window down about 3 inches. Not the best but I only drive it on the weekends and keep it in the garage so it has worked.

Since you have obviously spent a little time removing and reinstalling the window, could you give me any guidance? ( I also tried to move the quarter window back but it will not move any further back)
Old 03-18-2008, 06:53 AM
woodywrkng

In the fourth picture, above my index finger, is the adjustment that controls how far the rear of the window can go up. Chances are you've already tried this, but if not, it's the most likely thing to check. You get at it through a hole in the inner door skin, when the window is rolled to the proper spot, so it's not the most obvious thing to try.