Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Final Exhaust Question... To replace entire system or not???

Old 03-19-2008, 10:23 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Final Exhaust Question... To replace entire system or not???

Thanks fellas...
Whenever I make a decision like buying those tips, I'm afraid I will get someone telling me how bigga mistake that was! So Im glad to hear it will be all good... Thanks for the suggestions and helping me make a decision with the tips, Aussie... I'll put up some before and after pics eventually... Hopefully I will get these tips installed next week. Patience is a virtue I do not have!!
Thanks for the shout, Tex. The car is pretty solid and straight but I cant help but stack it up next to all the fully restored and rehabbed Stangs.

I was thinking the other day how I am just lucky that my car is healthy and looks pretty good. I can do the little things along the way to the big ones. If I can keep the car from the wrecking yard, I will have it for a looong time and that is the bigger picture... and it will be where I want it to be someday!

But I do appreciate the compliments!!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Bay, glad you found tips you like. its one of those things you just wont be happy with if its not right to what you want....and everyone else can do whatever they like to their own car!

just to change the subject a little, I had another look at your dyno vid. I couldnt work out why you were pulling respectable power but only at 4800 rpm on a 5500 pull. And then i saw you are still running the stock 302 heads. I guess budget is an issue (i have young kids too) but you seem to be leaving so much on the table thats there for easy taking. Any half reasonable aftermarket alum head is going to give you 50+ hp. What chance of convincing wife?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:22 AM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

just to change the subject a little, I had another look at your dyno vid. I couldnt work out why you were pulling respectable power but only at 4800 rpm on a 5500 pull. And then i saw you are still running the stock 302 heads. I guess budget is an issue (i have young kids too) but you seem to be leaving so much on the table thats there for easy taking. Any half reasonable aftermarket alum head is going to give you 50+ hp. What chance of convincing wife?
Reading this put a huge smile on my face... Thanks for bringing it up and thanks for checking out my dyno vid... sorry the quality sucks.
I do realize that I am leaving a lot of power on the table... And I am planning on changing that asap. Right now, my big project is getting a new front discs up and running. I just got an 08 GT kit from Mustang Steve.
Then... The heads are coming! As of right now, I figure I am going to have to drop at least $1800 on the heads and install as its not something I am going to try to do on my own. And that is with RHS cast iron heads that are supposed to hold their own against aluminum equivalent. I still need to do some homework on this but believe me, that is coming. You set the fire under me to get this one greenlit. I got a good wife, she'll support it!!! And with the disc brakes, she will be able to drive it too!

To change the subject... would you happen to know where a town called South West Rocks, NSW is?? My wife has family there. She has been to Australia and NZ but not me... yet. Thats gotta be fun tearing across the outback in your classic Stang!! Cheers!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

haha.
I must check out the RHS cast heads. I need stealth for my next rebuild and Alum is not allowed because my car is still lhd. Dont World Products also make cast heads? I like alum in general for the weight savings.

I hopeyou are playing nicewith those old heads...hate to bust a valve spring/ drop a valve on the new bottom end.

South West Rocks is on the east coast closer to Brisbane than Sydney. Its about 1200 miles from where i am now. I lived about 130 miles inland from there for 5 years and never found time to visit. But i did go to other parts of the coastnearthere. Beautiful part of the world and about the best climate anywhere. Never gets really hot, never gets really cold. 85-95 all year round.