Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rust Damage, Potential Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:40 PM
timbritt

Default Rust Damage, Potential Problem?

I recently noticed what looks like some bad rust/cracking under my car right below where the leaf spring bolts in. I took a couple pictures and was hoping that someone could tell me if this is something that needs to be repaired immediately or it it's just superficial. Also is this something I could potentially fix myself or would I need a professional to do it?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rust Damage, Potential Problem?

First.. that is just the undercoating cracking and is not a structural issue... yet. To me it looks like some water made its way up under the undercoating, started to surface rust and is now breaking out, forming the cracks you see. I'd get all the coating off around that area, check out how bad it is and go from there. It'll likely be ok just to clean it up and then coat it again but is something you should check soon. Cancer spreads!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 PM
timbritt

Thanks, I'll certainly look into that this weekend. What should I use for undercoating?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Any automotive stores should carry it in spray cans. As for what type... I couldn't tell you whats better then another. Perhaps someone else here will comment.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:36 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Betcha $100 that is rust that goes all the way through. Tap it with a hammer and see. Looks like some welding is in order.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:06 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Ouch, I bet you didn't want to hear that. You need to look into that closer. If it is just the undercoating, do like adrenolin said. If there is rust, it may be minimal and if so I would POR-15 it. I usually don't push POR-15 onto people but in this case it may be just what you need. It will stop the spread of rust through a chemical conversion process. Then you will need to still undercoat it. If it is major rust that goes through, a new piece of frame rail is in order.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

I hate to be the negative one, but I would say that's the start of something bad. Look into it a little closer and I'll bet you'll probably end up needing rear rail sections.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 PM
jaw66
2nd Gear Member

If it is rust thru you might be able to cut out a rectangle area and weld a new piece in its place. Just the same thickness of steel. I prefer 3m undercoat just because it seems to hold up well and I have never had any issues with it.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:14 PM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

Looks like the coating is cracked to me.. Not the metal... clean it up and look closer.. I will cross my fingers for you..
Old 03-21-2008, 05:18 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Seen a bunch that look just like it and the fame was rusted through. So what is the result? Is it rusted through or not?

Quick Reply: Rust Damage, Potential Problem?