Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Buying a Mustang in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:02 PM
RobJames

Default Buying a Mustang in the UK

I'm wondering if anybody has had the experiance of buying a Mustang in the UK and importing into the UK.

I'm interested in doing a restoration project, however if i'm spending that sort of money, I'm not wanting anything short of precisely what i want. Which is a 65-67 Fastback, preferbly gt500 shell

Fastbacks are few and far between in the UK, I don't thinkI have ever seen a project fastback, it seems a waste of money to spend £10k on a car thats allready done to sombody elses specification when i have to spend another £10k to get it how i want it.

Also, i'm wondering what the diffrence between the shell of a 65-67 coupe and fastback is, the most obvious is the roof and the boot, and how much would it cost too change a coupe too a fastback. Even if this is legal due too the structure of the coupe
Also the mechanical diffrences between the coupes and fastbacks? if there is any.

Regards,
Rob

Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a Mustang in the UK

It is cheaper to start with a fastback then to convert a coupe, and I am sure it would extremely expensive for you because you would have to find/ship the fastback roof too.

If 10000 euros is about 15000 dollars, then you would have a fairly decent deal for a finished fastback. Ones that are in just running condition are going for over 10k US here.

There are a few guys on here that are in other countries and will be able to help you out. Another thing you have to consider is shipping all the parts over. One guy said the taxes on importing mustang parts was outrageous.

Good luck! you have a lot of nice cars to pick from, glad you made the right choice tho
Old 03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

I can see the appeal of driving a Mustang in a place like the UK. But I would think building one would be a costly venture due to reasons that nineteen66 pointed out. I would import one from the US if it was me. Take advantage of the weak dollar.

And converting a coupe to FB is really not a good idea... the cost to do so would outweigh the cost of buying an original FB. Plus the resell value would be terrible for a car that has been butchered to that extent.

FWIW, £10k is a little over USD $20k.
And thanks to Bush Co., the US dollar is worth less than ever before.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
RobJames

Ty for the info, shipping a car inc. tax is about 2k usd
I'm not sure if its cheeper just to ship a rolling chas shell or a running car.

For 10k USD what type of condition would the shell/body be in, and what ammount of parts could i expect to recieve with it?

EDIT:
also is there any price diffrence between 65 66 and 67 models?
Regards
Rob
Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

USD$10k isnt going to get you much Fastback, even a shell. You could probably get a pretty nice FB for USD $20 - 25k

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/612680089.html 67 FB PROJECT... $5500
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/610512434.html 65 FB looks like a nice one... $17k
Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 PM
RobJames

is the 5500 usd mustang normally in that price range for that sort of project car?
The ones i have looked at in the past have been in that sort of shape but more expensive.

If theres any particular sites that i should keep a look out for the right project car, i would appreicate a push in the right direction

Regards
Rob
Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Check craigslist and ebay. Being overseas, those will prolly be your best bet as long as you can find a seller who is willing to ship it to you. There will not be much difference between a 65-68. Like BAY said, I would recommend getting a running fast back in decent shape. You will spend quite a bit of money to fix one up after all the parts and everything.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Its not gonna get easier to find these cars or cheaper either. If you find what you like, pay what you must.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:23 PM
RobJames

Ok thanks very much for everybodys help and advise on this matter

And hopefully ill be able to report back that i was able to import one shortly.

Regards
Rob
Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

Look over the posts for the past few weeks. I remember seeing a guy from Spain asking about importing a car. There were a few people giving him tips who had imported already. I don't know how similiar or different shipping is to differant countries is but I'm sure these guys could be of some help at least.

Quick Reply: Buying a Mustang in the UK