Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Starting Problem on 1966

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Starting Problem on 1966

No, with the pliers you go from the big post to the big post. That eliminates the soleniod all together.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
dmbrazilian

Ok so from the post that the possitive of the battery comes into and the post opposite to it that goes direct to the starter correct? Well when I do that I get no noise at all and alot of sparks....
Old 03-22-2008, 08:58 PM
65poppy
1st Gear Member

OK. Then either your starter is siezed up or the battery is low on juice. When you bypass the solonoid the bendix should kick out and the starter should turn the engine over. With the pliers you are essentially sending a direct connection from your battery right to the starter. If you have a full charge on your battery, then I would say it is most likely your starter.

One thing you need to do is crawl under the car and make sure that the big wire that runs from the soloniod to the starter is tightly connected to the starter. There's usually alot of oil and crud down there and a loose connection would make the starter work sometimes, and not work.

But if you get a lot of clicking from the solonoid, usually that indicates low power coming from the battery. Is your battery fully charged?

Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:15 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

try to "hot wire" it!just use a jumper wire from the + side of the battery to the + side of the coil eliminateing the soleniod if that does not work it's more then likey the starter good luck!!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:42 PM
dmbrazilian

Thanks for the replys guys I will try that in the morning and let you know.
Thanks
David
Old 03-23-2008, 08:31 AM
dmbrazilian

Ok so I think to the best of my knoledge the starter should be fine. When this first started happening I took the starter off and took it in to get it checked. It checked fine. Also like I said in a previous message the solenoid looks brand new. The battery had been fully charged when all of this was happeing, I checked it with my meter and it it always had juice. No need to get under the car to look at the wire from the solenoid to the starter on this puppy cause its right there in perfect view and it is fine as well, which by the way I took it all apart and put it back together just thing the same thing that it might not be getting a good connection. Now I seem to have ran the charge on the battery down some from all the trying to crank over and trying to bypass the solenoid. I have the battery charging right now. How exactly do you "hot wire" it? I guess if I tried that and it works its the solenoid and if not then I guess the starter?? I just don't see it being the starter due to the noise that it makes on the solenoid, its the the common noise on the starter when its trying to start but wont due to a bad starter. It seems like not enough juice going to the solenoid but there is plenty of juice and I have even tried to hook up my jump cables to it from my dodge diesel dual batteries and still it makes the same noise....
Im lost
Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 PM
dmbrazilian

Ok now I'm really at a loss..I picked up a new solenoid put it in still the same clicking noise coming from it when i try to start it. So I took it back and bought a new starter, put that puppy in and still I'm just getting the same clicking noise from the solenoid. Now when I say a clicking noise I don't mean just the one click its severall clicks or sounds like really fast clicks anyway.
Any thoughts
Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 02:43 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

How much charge is on the battery? Sounds like you still have a bad ground from the engine to the chasis. You got it to start by playing with that. I would concentrate in that area. I use a big fat cable like the one from your soleniod to your starter. bolt it straight to the block and then to a bolt on the frame side of the motor mount.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM
dmbrazilian

The battery is reading 12.5-12.7, I guess I will try the ground situation. It just gets me that it was working fine and now all of a sudden its acting up.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 03:29 PM
dmbrazilian

Ok so I have 12.5-12.7 or so on the battery just sitting there, then while trying to start her it drops to 4.9. Does this mean I have a bad battery? Could this be my whole problem?

Quick Reply: Starting Problem on 1966