Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

how screwed am i

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

Default how screwed am i

ok first off i am retarded plain and simple.

the 68, 289 has been hesitating lately a lot. off the line the engine would die and then pick up spinning the wheels.

i noticed that when looking in the carb one of the nozzles on the acellerator pump was clogged with something.

most of you can see where this is going. i decided to take the discharge nozzle off with the carb still on the car. (mistake)

i took the nozzle and washers out no problems. soaked them in carb cleaner and the clog was gone. i coated the washers in petroleum jelly to make them stick to the nozzle. the gas will melt the jelly and flow straight through the engine no problem.

i got the nozzle back on everything was perfect. cranked the engine and it sounded like a paint can rattling.

i immediatly shut the engine off and pulled the carb. apparently the brass check needle that is under the discharge nozzle came out and fell into the intake.

so once again, where could it be and how screwed am i.

i have the intake manifold off and cant see it inside the ports. if i spin the engine now with the intake off i cant hear anything abnormal. and the valves move ok.

do i need to pull the heads and look. did i mess up a piston.

damn damn

ok flame away i deserve it
Old 03-24-2008, 03:17 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Default RE: how screwed am i

Yep, sh-t happens. Anyway,I don't know of an easy way to get something out of a cylinder without taking the heads off. You definitly don't want to leave it in there, I wouldn't. IMO.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 PM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

oh well

heads it is
Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

If you dont hear anything and it was small it may be in your muffler now. Tuff call but if all else is working and noise is gone I think id leave it alone.
Brass is soft so shouldnt break or bend the valves or hurt the piston may have melted by now.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:31 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

That is a tough call,, butthese guys may be right.. If it gets to your consience too much then pull the heads, but if your ok with the thought that it may have been blown out with the exhaust stroke then go with it..

Ouch..
Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

At this point I would just run it,,, but that is just me,I have always been lucky that way

As already stated, if this part is as small as I think it is, it has probably already passed, if not, it will soon pass....

It is kind of like the kid who swallowed a dime,,, it is a little freaky, but this soon will pass... This is a time to be thankful that it was a dime and not a half dollar...
Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 PM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Pull the heads or you will always wonder or worry. While at it, you could look into freshening up the heads.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:17 PM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

i pulled the right head off and found this

i have never seen this piece on a holley before but it fits the shape of the nozzle hole perfectly. (its a little misshapen so it doesnt fit perfectly) but it still looks like the piece that came out.

i didnt see any other parts but there was some small piecs of smashed brass on top of the piston.

here is the top of the piston as well

[IMG]local://upfiles/40396/FF71260F4CC24CF9847540ACAAB3BB68.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/40396/50EC0ED1EEBD431FBD8D204D6BE5E17D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/40396/40B54B7D02CB41229F0E5B279CF28CE0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-24-2008, 05:23 PM
moparmatt89
2nd Gear Member

the piston doesnt look too bad, but its not that great of a picture. But anyway, its a perfect time to go forged, get new heads and cam. This could possibly become a good misfortune
Matt
Old 03-24-2008, 05:26 PM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

i was thinking at least gt40 heads and shelby tri y headers for a cheap rework

oh and btw. oh my god that head is heavy

Quick Reply: how screwed am i