Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Any suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:02 PM
dslattz

Default Any suggestions...

Well, you got me away from my MOPAR... Now I have a 1970 Mustang Coupe, basicly a blank canvas.. Has no drivetrain, but a solid body. Like I said, I was a Mopar guy.. Everything fit everything.. I would like some suggestions on the Motor and Trans. I do have the 289 and C-4 but would like to start new. Can a 1980's-90's 5.O with AOD be transplanted intomy 1970? Basicly, can I dump the EFI and go carb or should I retain the EFI set up and run the fuel and return lines and wire up a pump. Also will the ECM stand alone.. Man I have some questions for you guys!!Even if I go with a old 302 I would like some overdrive.. So you make the suggestion I'll drop it in! as long as its a clean swap.. I don't weld so good!! Thanks guys.. [align=right][/align]

Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM
outlaw66

Default RE: Any suggestions...

What kind of budget are you looking at?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:14 PM
dslattz

About five grand to start off with. But unlimited access to machine shop, blasting equipment, body boothand lifts. Anything you can think of basicly. So this is all parts money...
Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

What do you want in the end? Drag racer, road course racer, daily driver, weekend strip car, etc? What kind of HP are you looking to get?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

sounds to me from that first post that you want some power but need some economy...daily driver? If thats the case then your 5.0 efi, AOD set up sounds good to me. theres some info in the FAQ or get in touch with JamesW. He has efi engine with 5spd.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
outlaw66

I vote 5.0/AOD. injected or carb'ed is your choice.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:55 PM
dslattz

You absolutly right.. This will be the daily driver, however I need enough hp to keep my old Charger friends in check.. So a late 5.0 swap is easy enough? I'll look into it right away..
Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

If you have the parts the ability to i would keep up the EFI setup. I would love to have that in mine just because of economy and the ability to keep up with the times in terms of better feul management. But, if you wanted to go carb, i have a friend that has a 87 5.0 that he has carbed, all he did was put a 4v intake on the block and it ran up. Well, he may have done more but from what i've heard it seems thats all he did. The transmission he didn't use so i dont know about that.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:16 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Lots of parts available for your setup. An AOD will work the same with both. EFI is a little more complicated but with a donor car it's not hard, just time consuming.. I would decide first what direction you would like to go and let us know. There is a lot of people here that have done it already and can help you along.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:30 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

To start off with, go with the 5.0, all you will really have to change is the oil pan and the pick-up. I would personally go with carb b/c it is much easier to deal with and is DEFINATELY less time consuming to get going. I doubt you would see more power out of FI than a carb if the carb is set up right. But I have done some EFI conversions, mostly on chevys, and they haven't been too bad, just lots of time and lots of checking and double checking. But I would def. go with the AOD if you want mileage. The only disadvantage to them is that they dont handle the power as well as a well built C4. But it doesn't sound like you want 400+ HP to me so you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions...