Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Roller Rocker Arms, are they worth it?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:16 AM
dieselfuel_13

Default Roller Rocker Arms, are they worth it?

Looking to buy a set of aluminum roller rockers, how much hp would they free up? Would the stamped steel rollers perform close to the aluminum ones? Are they worth the $200 and up price tagprice tag?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:51 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default RE: Roller Rocker Arms, are they worth it?

I put a set of FoMoCo 1.6 roller rockers on my 351w and man are they smooth. I don't know how much hp they actually free up but it sure seems to rev more freely and did I mention, man are they smooth.

I think it was money well spent. It doesn't cost that much more to go 1st class.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Yes sir they are worth it. They are a must for high performance engines. The reduction in friction on the valve stems is well worth the cost.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 AM
choefle
2nd Gear Member

They are worth every penny. The number one cause for HP loss in an engine is friction, so anything you can do to reduce it is worth it.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:39 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

If someday you plan on building a other than stock enginethe get the aluminum rockers and if not then get the steel roller rockers and save some money.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

They might free up a couple hp, but don't expect to feel a difference (placebo effect plays a big part here). All in all, they're just better for your valvetrain. You can get a pretty decent set for $200.

There is no such thing as a stamped steel full roller rocker. There are stamped roller tip rockers, which are better than stock, but nowhere near as good as the real thing which has needle bearings at the pivot point, in addition to the roller tip.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:18 PM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Starfury

They might free up a couple hp, but don't expect to feel a difference (placebo effect plays a big part here). All in all, they're just better for your valvetrain. You can get a pretty decent set for $200.

There is no such thing as a stamped steel full roller rocker. There are stamped roller tip rockers, which are better than stock, but nowhere near as good as the real thing which has needle bearings at the pivot point, in addition to the roller tip.
other than the rocker itself what else would you need to put these on
Old 03-28-2008, 05:23 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You MAY need different pushrods if the ones you have aren't the right length for the rockers. The reduction in friction is well worth the money spent, valvetrain lasts longer, less likely to get oil going past the guides over time, and it reduces the amount of heat the oil in the upper end gets subjected too. You'd be suprised the heat savings full roller rockers can give you, Comp did testing and I think it showed like a 200* F difference in rocker arm temp between roller and stamped. Friction = bad.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:24 PM
rdraper

It would depend on your heads. Do you currently have?

1-bolt down pedestal mount sled fulcrum type. late model heads
2-adjustable rail or nonrail rockers. early ford heads 1974 prior
3-positive stop non adjustable rockers. late 70's and early 80's

But I would suggest at least screw in studs, guide plates, pushrods, and polylocks.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I don't see any reason for screw in studs, guideplates, poly locks, or pushrods with a simple roller rocker upgrade. Switching to roller rockers isn't going to increase strain on anything, it's going to decrease it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roller Rocker Arms, are they worth it?