Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Got the 347 Kit!!! HP estimate???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:34 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Got the 347 Kit!!! HP estimate???

Got some Vic Jr's on the 408,,,, I will take the Pepsi Challenge with AFR's...

I admire the folk who are loyal to the AFR's, and Iknow they are a great product, but for a street driven car there are plenty of more thansuitable alternatives...
Old 03-29-2008, 10:37 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

true, like i was more talking about the performer series cause i saw the flow charts on the vic jr's. i was thinking abt using themif i stroked my 351. but afr's are outrageuosly(sp?) overpriced IMO
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I know that I have to notch the bottom of the cylinder walls. Tha is the part that I am dreading the most. I have some good carbide bits though to do it with. I am hoping to see 425 at the crank from it. Hell, if it dont do what I want I could always throw some spray at it, but I really dont want to do that. I would rather do it all on motor. Do you all think I could get this much out of it?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:22 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tyler72

Yes, I know that I have to notch the bottom of the cylinder walls. Tha is the part that I am dreading the most. I have some good carbide bits though to do it with. I am hoping to see 425 at the crank from it. Hell, if it dont do what I want I could always throw some spray at it, but I really dont want to do that. I would rather do it all on motor. Do you all think I could get this much out of it?
The block will cut fast and easy, just make sure you cut in the right place. Hopefully you got a "tool" with your kit that you can use to lay out the cuts. If you don't have this tool, I advise that you get one...

You might find that the carbide bits tend to jump around a bit. I had carbide bits, and some regular old grinding stones for my die grinder when we clearanced the 351, the stones were easier to control and actually left a straighter, smoother, and a more true finish.

Once you lay your cuts out, if you move carefully, it should take you less than an hour to actually make the cuts.

I think youcanmeet your goal or at least come very close to your goal without spray....
Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Im not sure if I recieved a jig or not, I havent looked through all of the boxes thuroughly (sp?) but I was told to ut the crack in the block (with the bearsings in just 2 journals on the block side only and no caps) and put a piston on a rod with no rings and then install that on the crank (also with the bearings of course) and then rotate it around to see where I need to cut the block. I figured once I do that, then I can make a jig for the remaining cylinders. What do you think about this idea?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:05 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

On the heads thing,
I have a 347 also CompCams recommended the AFR185's to use with my paxton.
The 289 I have in waiting my get a set of the edelbrocks. Only thing so far about the AFR's is the damn exhaust mount holes are very easy to cross thread or strip.
Ill be going thru them later and putting in steel inserts. I cant believe as much as these things cost they didnt have the stock.

You should be pleased with the power. I have no idea what mine makes yet. I was shooting for the 500+ rwhp.
Guess ill find out soon. I do know so far this thing will jump to redline with just the quickest flip of the gas. Blower whistle and the car just twists over to the right.
Torque over hp is what I always go for building these lil smallblocks.

Cant wait to hear how it goes. Good luck and do better than I do about posting picts as you build.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 AM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

You see, thats what I am getting at. I like the horsepower, but you need torque also. Since the engine will never see above 6500 RPM, I think that the Edlebrocks will do quite well. They might not flow very well at like 7000+, but at say 5500, they would provide enough flow, but also enough velocity to keep the torque up as well. The AFR 185s are great heads as far as racing applications, but I feel that the Edelbrocks are probably the better head as far as user friendliness (all threads come heli-coiled from them) and for overall streetability. But thats just my opinion. I think I am going to go with a 7000 RPM chip since I already have one of those, but that would just be for emergency use only, like if the tranny blew up.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:52 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

notching the shirts is not all that bad..when my 347 arrived I loked at it and saw that you don't have to remove much metal...should take a few minutes per skirt to perform mod
Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

according to desktop dyno that should be around 400HP@6000 (peak) and 390lbft at 450 (all at crank)
Old 03-30-2008, 02:44 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

ORIGINAL: racin66coupe

why did you get edelbrock heads?
What is wrong with Edelbrock heads...... ??

i'm not hinting towards a brand at all. if you like edelbrock thats fine but the vic jr's would have been my choice if staying brand loyal. i like canfield and tea heads myself

Quick Reply: Got the 347 Kit!!! HP estimate???