Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

wanting to Start project

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Mullinator

Default wanting to Start project

Hey
Im 14, but when i can drive i wanna have like a old Ford mustang. I like the 69ish fastbacks

My dad used to race cars, and knows a little something about cars, so i was thinkin we could prolly buy an old, run down mustang body off ebay, and work on it together.

So i was wondering how much money would it cost about. How much time it would take? and maby other interesting pointers ya got.

Am looking to get something with:
V-8 like 250+ hp Fast, like 130ish+mph
preferably fastback
and just a nice lookin body, including a spoiler and stuff like that.
Say if what i want is too unrealistic

Im not a very big car guy so don't be tooo technical if u can avoid it.

lookin to get something kinda like this:
http://www.voorend.nl/overmustangs/h...9-fastback.jpg

thx
Old 04-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: wanting to Start project

Welcome to the board. I am pleased that you young ones are interested in our hobby and wish you the best of luck. My suggestion is that you read this board daily to gain more knowledge about vintage mustangs, and that you do a lot of reading. Subscribe to Mustang Monthly and other related magazines, and let your dream car come to life in your mind before you even start to build one. You have chosen a very lucrative model, but an expensive one. Be realistic in what you can afford.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:00 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

If you got the car right away and started working on it and saving, you'll probably be done by like... your 18th birthday. Not to discourage you, but it is a lot of work, depending on what you start with. I bought my stang from the orignial owner, body is in just awesome, awesome shape but everything that is plastic, chrome, or fabric needs to be replaced. You could build a good, fast car for pretty cheap and just put a lot of elbow grease in to it, but if you want it to drive well and be comfortable and safe, that's where the money part comes in.

When everything's said and done, I'm probably going to be spending 9-10k on my mustang, that's including things like all new chrome, all new dash parts, all new interior, bucket seats (flofit), rack and pinion steering, power discs, 5 speed conversion, tires/rims, handling kit, all new suspension rubber, 3/4 row radiator, electric fans, tranny cooler, oil cooler, A/C, power windows, and a motor that makes around 300 hp. Most of this stuff can be done with a screwdriver and a crescent wrench and time.

Good luck to you, and if you have any questions you know where to come.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

Just watch out for rust!

Old 04-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: TBIAgent69

If you got the car right away and started working on it and saving, you'll probably be done by like... your 18th birthday. Not to discourage you, but it is a lot of work, depending on what you start with. I bought my stang from the orignial owner, body is in just awesome, awesome shape but everything that is plastic, chrome, or fabric needs to be replaced. You could build a good, fast car for pretty cheap and just put a lot of elbow grease in to it, but if you want it to drive well and be comfortable and safe, that's where the money part comes in.

When everything's said and done, I'm probably going to be spending 9-10k on my mustang, that's including things like all new chrome, all new dash parts, all new interior, bucket seats (flofit), rack and pinion steering, power discs, 5 speed conversion, tires/rims, handling kit, all new suspension rubber, 3/4 row radiator, electric fans, tranny cooler, oil cooler, A/C, power windows, and a motor that makes around 300 hp. Most of this stuff can be done with a screwdriver and a crescent wrench and time.

Just watch out for rust!

10,000 bux is a good starting point for as budget, but there is always the "once I'm in there" attitude among old Mustangers. You can budget all you want, but most of the time you will go way over your budget. It's a project, and as you have eluded, it takes years and years to complete. Is this 14 year old patient enough to wait several years for completion? I don't know.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

Just watch out for rust!

Whoa, that is kind of wierd. I just said almost the exact same thing to my wife this morning. She asked what I was planning to spend to get my car to where I want it..

I said about 10K to get it back to driveable shape. It runs and drives, but all the rubber needs to be refreshed, and I am going to pull the motor and have it cleaned and machined, etc interior, etc, paint, etc...you get the point..

..and then like soaring says in his "once I'm there" remark, we'll see from there
Old 04-16-2005, 11:31 AM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

"about 10K to get it back to driveable shape."

LOL... I wish I could talk about money like that to my wife.
I have to do these things in stages and bits and pieces...

I just haven't figured out what to tell her when all of a sudden we're missing $1500 and three days later a Flaming River rack and pinion steering setup with black tilt steering column shows up at the door.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

"about 10K to get it back to driveable shape."

LOL... I wish I could talk about money like that to my wife.
I have to do these things in stages and bits and pieces...

I just haven't figured out what to tell her when all of a sudden we're missing $1500 and three days later a Flaming River rack and pinion steering setup with black tilt steering column shows up at the door.
Sorry if that came off as snobby. This car is on the 5-year plan...not the "pull that wad o cash outta the bank" plan. I am not rich, just well enough to have a new car for a daily driver and some free time after work. It will all be done in stages according to what little cash cash I have available at the time.

...ANd with a little help from my friends
Old 04-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, it took me several years and a butt load of money to "complete" mine too. You notice I have complete in parenthesis, as I don't believe I will ever complete it. This summer I am going to be working on getting the undercarriage in Concours condition. Sore arms, here we come.......
Old 04-16-2005, 01:42 PM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

Same here, I'm just doing peice by peice to my 'stang. Do one project at a time, once it gets running, the best thing you can do for your engine is take joy rides. After Engine I suggest doing inside then working your way out. That's what I'm doing, having a blast doing it as well.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Ah, the innocence of childhood. He wants something like THIS and have he and his father work on it together. That would be an outstanding father/son project IMO. That is a good dream, and one that I hope comes true for him. But, taking an "old Ford off E-bay" that is run down like a 68-69 fastback is going to be EXPENSIVE to get it in the condition of the one in his dreams. But, I will encourage him to follow his dreams. Who am I to hold him back? At least he isn't dreaming of 2005 Honda Civic with blue lights underneath, and some stickers plastered on it saying it is a "bad" car.

Quick Reply: wanting to Start project