Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mechanical vs. Electric Gauges

Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

Default Mechanical vs. Electric Gauges

I'm looking at Autometer Water Pressure Gauges, cannot decide between mechanical and electrical...

Is one more accurate than the other?

Do mechanical gauges actually push a small amount of fluid to the back of the gauge? (and if yes, how does it not slightly cool before reaching the gauge?)

Thanks for educating this noob
Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Gun Jam

Default RE: Mechanical vs. Electric Gauges

Some may disagree but....

I think...

If you want to measure a pressure then Mechanical is without a doubt the best choice for real time accurate measurments (and yes fluid is inside the gauge)

If you want to measure a temperature, or a volume or course a voltage electrical will probably work better and install cleaner.

-Gun

Old 04-04-2008, 12:08 AM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I have all electrical gauges. I didn't want to run hot fluid in the car. I know I have a heater so don't give me too much grief. It also seemed easier to install.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Most say mechanical read more true but i alway used electrical for one reason what if that line for your oil gauge leaks you get oil all over your carpet or even worse hot oil on your legs.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

If everything is run correctly, one wouldn't have to worry about those issues.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:47 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I like electrical due to no risk of leaks, but also you can mount the gauge where ever and just wire it up.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Mechanical temp gauges do not run coolant to the gauge. They're a giant thermometer - they have a temp sender bulb threaded into the coolant and connected to the gauge by a hollow tube filled with a fluid that expands at a constant, known rate (ie. mercury). They're very accurate, usually much more so than electrical gauges. I have one in my 67fb and I like it. The downside is that you can't alter the length of the tube, and it can be difficult to route it.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:23 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i personally would go electrical all the way. The only thing I would want mechanical is the speedo.
but that's only my opinion
Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Starfury

They're very accurate, usually much more so than electrical gauges.
And thats why they use them on the Space Shuttle right...................

I used to design detection systems for manufacturers and mining companies. Electrical gauges are no slower
than mechanical, in fact I would say it’s the opposite, unless the gauges are cheap. Personally,
I like the electrical gauges as the wiring is easy to route. Also as an engineer I can tie the signals
into an alarm panel so if anything is out of whack, I don't miss it. Another point isif a gauge needs replacing
there are no leak issues ( oil pressure ). I would stay away from any gauge that uses mercury,
it's toxic and evaporates, so you could be inhaling the stuff each time you drive the car, were it to leak.

But yes, they both do the job, and it's really a matter or personal preference.

Jav
Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JapanGT

ORIGINAL: Starfury

They're very accurate, usually much more so than electrical gauges.
And thats why they use them on the Space Shuttle right...................

I used to design detection systems for manufacturers and mining companies. Electrical gauges are no slower
than mechanical, in fact I would say it’s the opposite, unless the gauges are cheap. Personally,
I like the electrical gauges as the wiring is easy to route. Also as an engineer I can tie the signals
into an alarm panel so if anything is out of whack, I don't miss it. Another point isif a gauge needs replacing
there are no leak issues ( oil pressure ). I would stay away from any gauge that uses mercury,
it's toxic and evaporates, so you could be inhaling the stuff each time you drive the car, were it to leak.

But yes, they both do the job, and it's really a matter or personal preference.

Jav
In modern equipment, I have no doubt that electricalguages are superior to their mechanical counterparts. However, I have both the stock electrical water temp andoil pressureguages and mechanical units installed below my CD player. The mechanical guages are much quicker and have a superior consistency. With the electrical guages I was always kind of wondering if I was on the brink of overheating and stuff, but now I can actually tell whats going on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mechanical vs. Electric Gauges