Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

keep the performer or get the stealth

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:12 PM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

Default keep the performer or get the stealth

since i already have the edelbrock performer intake.
should i replace it for a weiand stealth since i am replacing the cam and exhaust or will the performance difference not justify the expense
Old 04-05-2008, 07:58 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: keep the performer or get the stealth

What is the engine setup now? And which cam?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:31 PM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

havent chosen a carb yet
either edel 500 or holley 570

comp cams xe256h
stock heads (for now)
flowtech headers

Old 04-05-2008, 08:42 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

i believe the weiand intake has a larger plenum than the performer. hence a little more air flow throuth the intake. since you mentioned stock heads for now id say go with the weiand itll grow well when you get other heads. and these intakes do provide good low end response too. i personally feel the performer is an aluminum factory intake. just my 2 cents. by the way the 570 street avenger will work extremely well with this combo.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The Performer has been redesigned recently and is quite a bit better than it used to be(if it's the smooth flowing runners, not the blocky log style). Weiand's new 8124 is a better version of the old Action Plus and does really well. The Stealth or Performer RPM is rather large for stock heads.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:21 AM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

The Stealth or Performer RPM is rather large for stock heads.
since i just have the performer and not the performer rpm this tells me that i should stick with the performer. or maybe get the weiand action plus.

i found that one on jegs but it says that it is a holley 4150 flange.
i know that the street avenger is a 4160 so does that mean the weiand action plus wont work with the 570 street avenger
Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

for stock heads and the small cam choice you have the performer should be the choice
Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

changing over to weiand is a waste of money in your case. i mean you have a decent intake for stock heads and why ditch that for something that might perform just a tad better. Unless you want to give me your old performer intake. (i want to upgrade to a 4barrel car soon)

Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 AM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

for stock heads and the small cam choice you have the performer should be the choice

why,

the plain old edelbrock performer from everything that i have read here is just an aluminum version of the stock one.

the weiand action plus now apparently from further research made 14 more hp than the performer did on the same engine.

that much hp for that little amount of money is a good deal.

also consider that almost every single time someone asks edelbrock or wieand what the answer here almost always is.

so if anyone wants the edelbrock performer (not rpm just the plain performer) pm me
Old 04-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The Performer 289 (what is now the Performer Plus)is not an aluminum version of the stock 4V. I've got one sitting on the shelf, and I can tell you it sits higher than the cast iron 4V intake. Those cast iron intakes have very small plenums.

Personally, I don't see a reason to switch until you find a pair of good heads. The Edelbrock will work just fine, and I don't think you'll actually notice a difference if you switch to the Weiand. Just because they claim it made 14 more hp on the same engine doesn't mean it'll make 14hp on every engine. You'd probably only see a slight difference up above 4000rpm, and how often do you plan on spending up at that rpm range?

Quick Reply: keep the performer or get the stealth