Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Does anybody know how to build a jig??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 AM
67fastbackshell
1st Gear Member

Default Does anybody know how to build a jig??

I'm afraid that my car may be sagging from where the drivers rocker panel was removed a long time ago. I also need to do some extensive work to the front frame rails and firewall. So, does anybody know how to build a jig that will help me correclty weldeverything back together or is there another method to make sure everythingends up being welded in the correct place at the correct angle, etc.

Thanks so much!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Does anybody know how to build a jig??

I picked one of these for my 65 fastback and i have one I used on my 66 coupe.
Saved my tail when I put in the mustang @ kit on my 66. The car was knocked out almost 2"
Getting the base cross frame (x) measurements gave me a good staring point.
http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...at=2459&page=1
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

An assembly jig would be real nice, but I've never heard or seen of one. If you're concerned that the body may be distorted due to the rocker being removed, try hanging a door to see how it fits.

Convertable owners will use bars in the door openings when their cars are on a rotisserie, but it's usually un-necessary with cars that have a floor pan and roof. I doubt that the removal of the drivers side rocker altered the unibodies dimensions. If the floor and the rocker panel were removed, it would be possible, but not from just the rocker.

As previously posted, an assembly manual should be your top priority.

Dave
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
67fastbackshell
1st Gear Member

Thanks so much Dave and cman. When i take bodies off convertible corvettes i have to tie the front and back halves together the same way. Otherwise the back half will crack off. However, that is fiberglass.

I was looking through the catalogs last night and noticed that the coupe and convertible have inner rocker panels, but i did not see one for the fastback, nor did i notice one in my car. I suppose if they are not present then the fastback must hold the car together pretty well.My car is solid from the firewall back due a heavy layer of undercoating and oil all over the trans tunnel. Thank god for previous oil leaks