Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Disc Brake Swap Problems, HALP

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Disc Brake Swap Problems, HALP

ORIGINAL: mjr46

wow..never seen a set up with no instructions..I gues you get what you paid for..cheap is cheap for a reason[&:]
Most of the suspension and brake parts I have purchased ( a lot) came with crap instructions.
I think they hire monkeys to write them. Lucky the monkeysknow how to take pictures of...............

Jav
Old 04-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Smeezor

Thanks for the support. I've only done brake work on cars pre 1978, and putting the calipers on facing the front just seemed odd even though it's just a stop of rotational force. I'll just make 100% sure the bleeder valves end up on top.
Does anyone know if it matters if I have switched the right and left rotors?

mjr46,
The root of all my problems is that I don't have a damn manual to read, and even though I've been frustrated, I still like the kit and it seems like everything is there and is of quality parts. It was pretty dumb for them to say "figure it out," but they did leave me a number to call if I got stuck. I just happen to be working at times when nobody is there. =P You may be right however, in that you get what you paid for. If I am utterly destroyed when my brakes and rotors fly apart on the open road, I'll leave it in my will for someone to log on to this forum to give you mad props for calling that crap.
I'm going to make a thread with step by step instructions (took a lot of pictures) after this is all said and done for the people considering the swap.

Back to the grindstone for me, It should take me about 30-45 minutes to do what took me 4 hours last night now that I know what I'm doing.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:13 PM
degins
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Smeezor

Well I started to work on the disc brake swap for my 65. I bought the parts from www.discbrakeswap.com. I tried their link to instructions provided and got no dice, and when I emailed them they basically said, "It's easy, don't worry about it, just use the instructions for the granada swap." Well I found out that the granada swap instructions are about as useful as having teeth in your *** hole, so I pray someone else is awake at this hour to aid me.

I can't get the caliper brackets to fit. I'm assumming that the calipers are supposed to go on toward the back of the car, but if I turn them to face out, they hit the rotor and if I turn them in, they hit the metal arm that connects to the steering.
Also, the company saw it fit to grind off the markings on the rotors so I don't know which slotted rotor is the right or left. Do the end of the rotor slots trail or lead as the wheel rotates?

I'll get pictures up of this shenanigans in a minute.
Shenanigan

edit:
How I think it should go

What is happening when I try to put it on

I looked at some pictures, does the caliper go on the front? This is madness!
If you are going to post a rant and make a quote, you should be accurate. I told you to follow the PLUMBING instructions found in the GRANADA swap guide. Those are perfectly applicable to the SWAP.1 except for the connection of the brake hose.I explained this. I also advised you, in response to your question, that the caliper mounts at the front of the wheel. I (and you obviously)don't know what you are talking about in relation to '...the company saw it fit to grind off the markings on the rotors ...". There is no such grinding.You are making asumptions, which are OK privately, but are ignorant when made publicly. The boxes the rotors came in are clearly marked R and L.

I alsoasked you to call if you needed additional help. It is true that the SWAP.1 product was offered to users before the specific instruction guide is available. I realize this is not optimal, but I am quite confidentthe vast majority of my customers appreciatethat I did so, since the SWAP.1 kit, based on the original KH system mounted to disc brake equipped 65-67 mustang, is offered at $250-$500 less than any other source.

Call if you need help. I will soon post a specific instruction set.
Dennis
Old 04-06-2008, 06:53 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

[sm=smiley32.gif][sm=smiley32.gif][sm=smiley32.gif][sm=smiley32.gif][sm=smiley32.gif][sm=smiley32.gif][sm=smiley32.gif][sm=smiley32.gif][sm=smiley32.gif]
excelent kit, never had an issue
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 PM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Smart, insult your customers..................[:'(]

Jav
Old 04-06-2008, 10:58 PM
degins
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JapanGT

Jav
Jav,
No insult intended, just frank accurate discussion.I and, I assume, the owners of this site take it very serious when a member rants against a vendor. I expect thatusers will make a sincere attempt to resolve an issue before resorting toan attemptto damage me. I specifically recall the telephone call from the OP. I answered his questions to the best of my knowledge and encouraged him tocall me again if other issues arise.As I said before, I am working on an install guide. That said, the install of the KH kit is fairly easy.It is fairly easy to figure out that the calipers mount on the forward side of the wheel. The shields will mount only one way. The cutout in the shields make it fairly obvious where the caliper relates to the shield. The plumbing and rotor mounting are covered in the other install guide. Again,tech supportis available by email at info@discbrakeswap.com, or by phone at 512-947-6718. I believe a number ofMustang Forumreaders can attest to my manner, integrity, and the quality of my products.
Dennis
Old 04-07-2008, 12:21 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Jav
I think what he said was far from inslut. And I agree with him. You can't run around spoutting off things when it's obvious he didn't understand. I've installed over 15 of these kits and the ONLY complaint I could possibly make was I didn't get 2 bearing caps. I only got one. Pretty damn good honestly. Better than I can state for my other 100 vendors. Might have been better if he had got it installed first or made 100% sure there was a problem before slamming a damn good vendor.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i have not used the kit in question but every one praises it on here and they have excellent customer service ive also heard.

to the OP, its time to take a break and think about things it help trust me it helps regroup come back with a clear mind.
more than likely the caliper does indeed mount towarrds the front of the car like this my ssbc kits cost a crap load of cash but the instructions were not 100% AND I had to do a little tweaking with a part
Old 04-07-2008, 03:56 PM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cprstreetmachines

Jav
I think what he said was far from inslut. And I agree with him. You can't run around spoutting off things when it's obvious he didn't understand. I've installed over 15 of these kits and the ONLY complaint I could possibly make was I didn't get 2 bearing caps. I only got one. Pretty damn good honestly. Better than I can state for my other 100 vendors. Might have been better if he had got it installed first or made 100% sure there was a problem before slamming a damn good vendor.
I disagree, i think he did insult the customer. NOT everyone has put on 15-20 of these kits, this was his first time he ran into and problem and it appears there is not a good instuction set for this setup and it was after hours. SO HE came on a public forum to ask questions and outline his problems.

Now, that being said i sent my paypal payment for the swap.3 kit for my 1968 coupe and i will document how it goes with mine.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:57 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Dennis is a class act vendor, who I've met in person. He has been praised up and down these boards for a good reason, not because he was insulting. People make mistakes, and stuff goes on backwards sometimes. That's understandable. But the OP was bashing his name, and I could have told you Dennis didn't "grind off" any markings, because the whole thing is brand spanking new - not something he pulled out of the junkyard.

Quick Reply: Disc Brake Swap Problems, HALP