Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Montanas Mustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Please help

1) davesanborn is right. I bought my '68 back in 1988 when I was 18 and tried to fix it up while it was a daily driver. If I had a nickel for everytime it broke down back then...the resto/mod I'm doing now would be paid for (and I plan on spending A LOT!!!). We're not saying it CAN'T be done...you just better be prepared to fix little nagging things EVERY...SINGLE...DAY (or pretty close)! If you can find a way to buy the Mustang and still have a "reliable" driver...DO IT! It will save you money, time and frustration. As he said, even in a best case scenario the car is still 40 years old. Don't give up on the Mustang, just re-think your approach.

2)I agree racin66coupe .......why would you!!! ROFLMAO!!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:31 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

+1 here. You can call your classic a daily driver, I think that is a loosly used term. Many might have daily drivers that are classics, but usually it will take a lot to make it a daily driver. You will have some very frustrating days if this is your only car. Better to have a POS toyota or honda, those can run forever and be an excellent daily driver. Then you can work on your classic and drive that when you want, but always have another car because your classic will own you.
ORIGINAL: davesanborn

To have a daily driver,
This in itself is asking for a lot. These cars are over 40 years old. 90% of the cars here break down.... regularly. Read some of the latest posts for examples. HELP ME! MY CAR WON"T START!is probably posted every other day.... sometimes 3 or 4 times a day.

Owning a classic car is a great experience... right up until the minute you try starting it, it won't start and now you're late for work. The boss will eventually stop laughing at your car problems and find someone with more reliable transportation. If you insist on relying on a classic to start every time, you'd better go through and inspect/replace EVERYTHING on the car first.

In my driveway is an immaculately restomodded '57 F100. In my garage area '66 FB (with every item new except the rear glass), a GT500"E"Eleanor clone(again, everything new except the back glass)...... (I've been lucky with the back glasses on these cars, what can I say?), an '05 Big Bear Merc Custom Chopper, an '03 HD LowRider, and an'01 HD 1200Custom. In front of the garage is a fully restored '88 Jeep Wrangler and parked next to it is my '04 Hemi Dodge Quad cab.

Do you know what I drive to work everyday? Idrive with my wife in her '98 Chevy Cavalier. It's about the "un-coolest" car imaginable and doesn't even have power windows! My point is that it's fun to own/drive the "cool" cars, but in reality they're all just "toys". Nothing beats a plain janedaily driver when you're looking forreliability.

Good luck,
Dave

Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

my car is a dd...its only failed me once and that was when i was getting off work. the starter went out and that was a fairly easy fix. when i say its my dd i mean it is the only car i have, its my main form of transportation. she seems to be holding up just fine. of course i have the typical electronic ignition/disc brake/other safety upgrades to make it fit for daily driving. there really isnt much that can go wrong with these cars so when something goes out its generally easy to locate and easy to fix. unless you have a catastrophic failure of some sort. if you have an understanding boss and you call them and let them know you're having car problems you will be fine.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:38 PM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

i am 18, and the only car i have is my 67' coupe. It has been...um..an interesting experiecne. the PO said "ohh it runs and drives great! mechanically sound!" No. all kinds of little things wrong. I have had it almost exacly a year now, and i have had the tranny go out, replaced just about every gasket on it b/c they leaked, had random problems with firing (electronic ignition too) fuel delivery problems, burns oil, overheats (a couple of times) random steering componets breaking, and over all just those days you go out and it is acting up and won't run, then having to walk to school and being an hour late. but all in all, it is a fun DD. if i could go back i would still do it all over again. b/c when it does run, it runs well and i love it.
(also i ahve no saftey upgrades other than high back seats.) yes it is nice to only have lap belts, a non collapsable steering collumn, 4 wheel mechanical drum brakes, and no power steering (with a 13.5 inch steering wheel, thats fun in parking lots.)

well good luck! welcome to the forum! and if u choose a classic for ur DD be prepared to be happily disappointed!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
silverblue66
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dugan

if u choose a classic for ur DD be prepared to be happily disappointed!
Truth be told, I believe a classic can be a dd, but I haven't found one yet that is 100% reliable. My 68 is my main mode of transportation. I bough it in october and it broke down on me once, and it started ten minutes later, then died. never found the problem, never did it again. I drive it 100 miles a day for times a week. I am surea POS four banger would be more efficient, less trouble, but people who want to drive a mustang as a dd do it because they love mustangs are willing to drive a 40 year old car and deal with the things that come with that. Good luck.
Kip
Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

I also use my Mustang for my daily driver and it's only failed me a couple of times (clutch went out, lifter blew apart and tore a rocker stud out.) Granted they aren't the most reliable pieces of machinery and they don't get great fuel economy, but I know that driving mine will put a smile on my face know matter what mood I'm in. Overall mine is a pretty reliable DD and I'm extremely happy to have it.

As for places to buy parts, try Mustangs Unlimited and CJ Pony parts, parts are plentiful for these cars and you can buy just about anything you want. Good luck with purchasing a classic Mustang and welcome to the forums.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 PM
paramount

Im really trying to weigh my options. Financially it makes more sense to buy the mustang for a for about $4k and put another $6k and have a pretty decent mustang.

Or I could do what Ive done before and lease a new car for $350 a month for 36 months and have nothing to show for the $12600 in payments I put out.

Theres a 95 f150 for $2200 that I may buy and use it whenever the mustang doesnt want to start or am working on it.