Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Floor pan installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:28 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Default Floor pan installation

Those of you that had to either fully replace your floors or maybe just put in long floor pans on both sides or just one, about how much did you spend? Do you know what kind of weld they used? I have several friends that can weld and I want to make sure they get it right the first time if I hire the work out to them or if i should just shell out the money on a pro. Integrity is an issue of course as always so I'm not tryin to be cheap but it does get expensive. I've cut the old floors out using the new ones as templates of where to cut, hoping to save some money.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Floor pan installation

I put mine in with butt welds and ground down the welds so they look like they were never replaced. You could use a lap weld so you dont have to be as precise at cutting out your pans. and no one would really be the wiser unless they pull your carpet or climbed under your car.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

I replaced my floor as a whole unit. Went to a wrecking yard and drilled out all the spot welds to remove it complete. Used "plug-welds" to attach it at all the origonal weld locations. Cost $35 for the pan plus primer.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I replaced my entire floor, in sections, I did all the welding myself. The only expense was the materials, welding wire, and shielding gas. I used lap welds and plug welds where attached to the frame rails/extensions. It was some of the easier work I have done on the car. Dirty and loud, metal work is, but rewarding. Sorry, i just finished watching Star Wars.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 PM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zmetalmilitia

Dirty and loud, metal work is, but rewarding. Sorry, i just finished watching Star Wars.

[sm=vader.gif]

Funny.