Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension

Anybody know of any good suspension kits out there? i drive a 72 coupe with a new powerplant going in soon... 302 with hopefully 300-350 hp and i know the old boat-like suspensions going to kill me.. i rebuilding the C4 and my stock brakes have just been redone... still using the stock discs up front and drums in the back... the car is a daily driver but im really looking for a more firm ride... i plan on polyurithaine (sp?) bushings but as far as the actual shocks/leaf springs etc. im so lost.. anyone know of anything to make the ride a little more... modern? any help is awesome, thanks =-)
Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension

What do you want, smooth ride and good handling, drag racing? There are some good aftermarket kits out there with very modern suspension setups, but you're talking like over $3,000 just for the rear.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

Well im looking for something kinda smooth and pretty safe up untill about 120 or so just in case i feel like getting on it on the freeway... i dont need anything amazing and cost of course is an issue but the car is a daily driver and i do get a heavy foot sometimes... something that would feel more like a newer mach 1 or maybie like a WS 6 but it dosnt have to be quite at the WS 6 level... a little firmness is fine with me....
Old 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Gun Jam

NPD street bandit handling kit with some global west parts like upper and lower a arms and adjustable strut rods.

Im running that same setup minus the global west upper a arms. I have been very happy with the performance, I have Porsche 944 and the mustang handles right on par with it. I drive the mustang a lot more than the Porsche but when i drive the Porsche I don't say "Wow what huge difference this German technology makes, I guess thats why this car was 33,000 dollars new" I DO say "Wow power steering sucks the mustang has way better road feel with the manual steering setup"

-Gun
Old 04-08-2008, 05:15 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

gun, what are the spring rates on that street bandit kit? and what upper a arms are you using?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tang 72

Anybody know of any good suspension kits out there? i drive a 72 coupe with a new powerplant going in soon... 302 with hopefully 300-350 hp and i know the old boat-like suspensions going to kill me.. i rebuilding the C4 and my stock brakes have just been redone... still using the stock discs up front and drums in the back... the car is a daily driver but im really looking for a more firm ride... i plan on polyurithaine (sp?) bushings but as far as the actual shocks/leaf springs etc. im so lost.. anyone know of anything to make the ride a little more... modern? any help is awesome, thanks =-)
I don't recommend getting a kit!!! IMHO kits are geared for the dual street/track profile. They are stiff and fine for the track and moderate street driving but not ideal for a road car. For a good handling car the single biggest factor seporating a good handling with a good feel, from a bad one is the alignment. As long as you DO NOT use Ford's specs and set it with performance settings you can have a really god handling car. The next thing I normally recommend as the second single biggest improvement to a classic Mustang, is improving the camber curve and the UCA drop fixes that. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO 71-73 MUSTANGS SO DO NOT DO IT YOU WILL MESS THINGS UP!!! Third biggest improvement is roller spring perches (Roller perches can improve handling as much as the alignment and the UCA drop but I list them third due to cost). These three things with a bone stock car will make it handle very well. As far as ride quality your spring rate will have the biggest effect on on that. Best advise I ever got was to go with a stock or slightly stiffer than stock spring with performance shocks such as KYB. These basic things will make the car handle quite well. If you want to take it to the next level and improve the handling even more than add a 1" sway bar and adjustable strut rods.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The export brace and monte carlo bar help a lot also you might want to think about bigger brakes too 60-0 matters too.Id go with http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/index.html or go full coil overs.