Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mechanic trying to screw me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:16 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mechanic trying to screw me?

I must agree with mjr46, I work at a shop and Im only 19, and I get paid more than 12.50 an hour. However, that is only for the things that I do, so if I don't have a car to work on then Im not making money. Overhead in any decent sixe shop is horrid, electricity is the biggest expense. Oh and tools, most employees have to provide their own, but the shop usually will have specialty tooks for anybody to use. Have any of you all been on a Snap-On truck lately??? Tools are extremly expensive, and how are shops supposed to fix your car without them? Thats why shop labor is so high. We ONLY charge $60/hr and I like to say that we do really good work. We offer three things Fast work, Excellent work, and Cheap work. Our customers can pick only two of those three things. If you want it fast and cheep, it may not be very good, if you want it fast and excellent, it aint gonna be cheap, and if you want it Excellent and Cheap, it may take some time. As far as shops getting a discounted price, its not even close to 20%. We are lucky to get 10%, and we are one of the biggest shops around. And as far as mark up, we generally only add 15%, depending on the part. I dont think that $1000 is bad for all new front end components. And as far as the steering box, it is really bad to run a power box with no pump pushing fluid through it. I have seen 2 or 3 lock up from doing this. If you don't want power steering then thats your choice and its fine, but you need to use a manual box to do it right. Dont go jumping the gun and say that they are trying to rip you off, because from what I hear, it sounds about right.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

I too am a NAPA Car Care Center. The main reason I signed on with them is because they offer a "Nation Wide" warranty. Whatever I do is warrantied no matter where you are. IF what I did fails, find another NAPA center and they repair is free of charge.

As to why you feel that the shop you visited is trying to cheat you is not real clear. It could be just that they don't want to work on your vehicle and they're trying the "over priced" card - which in itself is bad practice.

Never the less - retail is retail. Wether it be in Auto repair or your favorite Burger joint. You can expect to pay retail price for your repairs. I'll not sell you a part for what I pay for it, ever. I expect my parts bill alone to pay the over head and my labor pays the rest.

The best thing you can do as a consumer is befriend a reputable shop and be loyal to their service. I promise this will work out for everyone in the long run. I go completely out of my way to help and save money for repeat and loyal customers. I appreciate their business and loyalty and try to be as accessable and appreciative as possible.

NAPA takes pride in their Car Care Centers and they will stand behind their customers. If you feel that you're being taken, please take the time to contact the NAPA customer service folks and voice your concern.

Lastly,

Just as was said in a previous post. Calling the people that have posession of your vehicle and are going to take your hard earned money "grease monkey" will more likely than not result in a non favorable conclusion.

I spend alot of money to stay "Master Certified" and keep my shop up to current standards. I have not worked for 12 bucks an hour since Highschool and that was 30 years ago. The Technicians that make a very good living today are very skilled and deserve to be compinsated for it.

Cheers.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Here here! 'nuff said! You get what you pay for is the bottom line, you want cheap prices, go to the ole shadetree mechanic, but don't b!tch when something messes up or looks like crap.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 PM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

Wow. Thanks for all the replys. I guess I was not to clear in my original post, I was not trying to say they were screwing me, or trying to acuse them of being shaddy, I was mearly asking for opinions and suggestions because you never know. Some mechanics will rip you off, and screw you, while others will be nice, loyal, and professional but, as with any profession, there are just some people who are ********. (be it a teacher, mechanic, electrician, lawyer, cop, or politician etc.) I called around to many shops to just ask about it and this place seemed to know the most about it, and seemed friendly. I posted, because I would rather be safe than sorry.
If the price gets much higher, my dad said he may just let me do it which makes me happy!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:08 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

aussie, what kid of subaru do you have? just curious...
Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

And as far as the steering box, it is really bad to run a power box with no pump pushing fluid through it. I have seen 2 or 3 lock up from doing this.
Really? I'll give you $100 for every classic Mustang power steering gearbox you can show me that failed because the PS pump lines were disconnected and therefore not"pushing" fluid through the gearbox. Cash money.

FYI, steering gearboxes, whether power or manual are sealed units. The PS pump isn't even connected to the steering gearbox....it connects to the PSControl Valve, which in turn powers the PS Ram Cylinder. PS fluid is never "pushed" though the gearbox.

LMAO,
Dave
Old 04-11-2008, 12:53 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

i had to pay $130 dollars just to have my headlight fluid changed.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:24 AM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eZ

i had to pay $130 dollars just to have my headlight fluid changed.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 04-12-2008, 01:14 AM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Agreed. Stay away from Tylers shop..