Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

T5 and no power steering : the real deal!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 01:59 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Default T5 and no power steering : the real deal!

Hey,

You may, or may not, agree with what I am about to say but I though it would be interesting to have a small debate here. I recently did three major changes on my 1967 coupe:

- Rebuilding the 289 (and switch to 4bbl)
- Switching from C4 to T5
- Removing the power steering

It may come from the fact that in my country we don't have automatic cars (I'm from France and live in California) but I completely rediscovered my car with the T5. It gives me so much more pleasure: I am driving now! It seems lighter, more powerful, it sounds better (double clutching is a pleasure) and I also save on gas. What are you all waiting for?

Now let's talk about the power steering! Well, it is not a daily driver and I completely understand that it would not be appropriate in this case. But if you have a week-end car, isn't the whole goal to take pleasure with it? It weights less, it gives a tiny bit more power (2/3 hp, the psychological side) and you feel like you are driving a muscle car! I love it!

This said, I understand that we all have a different approach when it comes to Mustang. And this one is mine
Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: T5 and no power steering : the real deal!

i can turn the steering wheel with one finger with my 17x8 in the front even after i deleted all my power steering
Old 04-16-2008, 04:01 PM
scouttrooper
1st Gear Member

I am pleased with the way my car drives with one exception... It is a manual steering car, and although they're all new components, most of the driving I do is around town, where very slow turning gets tiresome. How do I eat my hamburger and french fries while I'm fighting that steering wheel? When I bought a pulley system for the front end of the engine, I planned on power steering, I just haven't popped for the rack and pinion yet. When I get that going, I will truly enjoy driving the old beast. I cannot imagine missing that manual steering box.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Gun Jam

My car is a daily driver I removed the Power steering and put in a flaming river gearbox.

Its not overly difficult to steer in parking lots and road feel is much better. I love it.

-Gun
Old 04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I decided to go with manual since it was aton cheaper and simpler to buy an adapter, than the entire PS setup.

I was also told that Mustangs with PS seem alittle "floaty" on the nose.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:05 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I have heard that a roller idler arm will help alittle on difficult manual setups, anyone vouche for this?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

hahaha scouttrooper's got it in a nutshell

if you wanna eat burgers and drink beer while you drive, then stay with the power steering.
if you're into hammering a few bends in the road, go manual.

I found the old ram system so light as to transmit no road feel back through the steering wheel. That's fine on my fairlane which is a lot heavier and a great cruising car.

baddog, I just fitted roller spring perches. They helped. I already had a roller idler quick steer kit and 16:1 box. the quick steer has longer idler and pitman arms. Great for the track but increases steering effort around town. The ilder wore prematurely (<2000 miles). I would not recommend the quick steer for street cars.

I still have faith in the roller concept so I am going back to stock pittman arm and stock length roller idler. I'll let you know in a few weeks when it turns up!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

can't wait for my T5. it's currently sitting in New Jersey depot waiting to go on a ship over to Ireland ...

Old 04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kalli
can't wait for my T5. it's currently sitting in New Jersey depot waiting to go on a ship over to Ireland ...
That's was I meant with my post. I understand that we can debate manual vs power steering but when it comes to T5 vs C4 : no discussion possible

... and I put my new shifter stick + **** yesterday : hum [8D]
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Smeezor

How do I tell what kind of transmission I have? Someone converted my car from an automatic to a manual some time ago, but I haven't seen any specific markings. I also noticed that contrary to my ford shop manual, the spedometer cable is on the bottom of the transmission instead of the top. My shift pattern is

R 1 3
2 4
which threw me for a loop the first time I tried to find reverse, I was used to the volkswagens!
Also, will there be problems switching to a flaming river setup if I have aftermarket headers? The engine is a 289 and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have stock ones, but I am unsure of the manufacturer at this time.

Quick Reply: T5 and no power steering : the real deal!