Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Curiosity is getting the better of me

Old 04-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Default Curiosity is getting the better of me

my car had the d/s inner fender replaced way before i owned it. So the vin says its a 66 coupe I6. I've always assumed its a 66 fastback but i'm getting a few clues it could be a 65.

65 door panels
66 dash BUT with 65 chrome trim round the outside.
the fold down seat latch was early 65 till i snapped it off. the fold down seat supports are 65.
it has the early 65 style engine mounts.

I think the only way i will know for sure is to pull the passenger side fender off and try to locate the vin on that side. Question is, can i do this easily enough without damaging the paint and what else do i need to pull off first apart from the obvious bolts along the top?

who knows...maybe its a k code[&:]
Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Curiosity is getting the better of me

You'll need to disassemble the entire headlight bucket, the lower grille opening, the rock guard, the front bumper, the lower valance, the bolt near the top hinge, and the bolt that is behind the kick panel (through the cowl side panel).
Old 04-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

[:'(]

i was hoping it would be easier than that! oh well, that might have to wait a while.
i'll squirt some of that bolt spray on all the crusty underneath bolts and see how easy they come loose.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 PM
65Coupester
2nd Gear Member

Door panels, dash pads and seats are all easily changed. They are no real indication of age.
Is it an early 66? Are the last 6 digits of the VIN low numbers? What does the door tag say on the scheduled build date?
I hate to say it but either your car was heavily modified or the title has the wrong VIN(most likley). It might have been stolen at some point and retitled under a good VIN for a coupe.
The fender will only have the VIN, which is on the title. The rest of the info is on the door tag and general detective work.
If the VIN is on the right apron AND it doesn't match the title, don't say a thing. Just bolt it back up and enjoy your car.
My 65 is a 'changeover car'. An interesting mix of parts. It is just hard to tell with these old cars.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

When you say driver's side, do you mean the left side[sm=lol.gif]
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

yeh the left side[8D]

65coupster, there's the visible vin on the d/s inner fender which was changed as a result of a bender. you can see where the spot welds have been replaced.

the passenger side is still original so there should be a vin under the fender. the moron PO got a dodgy door plate made up by someone using the 6cyl coupe vin.

I know i'll never havea full history of it, but it's be nice to know for sure what year it is.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

at least its not a k code vin on a t code car[8D]
Old 04-17-2008, 05:59 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

You might be able to see the vin from underneath. Pull a wheel and look up at the bottom of the inner fender where it would be stamped. Might require some cleaning, but worth a try before you pull the fenders.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:52 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Do a tracing using a lead penciland paper from the bottom, or a smallwood roller. May need to wire brush it first. The answer will appear. The right side is covered by the fender. Sometimes you can do this from the top by unbolting the fender and wedging it up just a little to where you can getsomething roundin there (the other end of a glass cutter works) or you can even use "silly putty" and make an impression. Wedge it up, squeeze it in there, push it down, pull itback up, remove itand take a look.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:52 AM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67 evil eleanor

Do a tracing using a lead penciland paper from the bottom, or a smallwood roller. May need to wire brush it first. The answer will appear. The right side is covered by the fender. Sometimes you can do this from the top by unbolting the fender and wedging it up just a little to where you can getsomething roundin there (the other end of a glass cutter works) or you can even use "silly putty" and make an impression. Wedge it up, squeeze it in there, push it down, pull itback up, remove itand take a look.
[sm=goodidea.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Curiosity is getting the better of me