Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

explain kickdown cable to me please

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

Default explain kickdown cable to me please

i have a 66 with a C4,..302

what exactly does the kickdown do? where does it go? can anyone provide pics? and explain this a little more to me,..i just had the c4 rebuilt and installed it last week, when i removed everything from the car, there was nothing hooked up,..and i cant find much on it
Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: explain kickdown cable to me please

i have yet to figure out how to get mine to work correctly on my 67. i have the cable, i have everything else, i hook it up, and it seems like the pedal doesn't go down as far with it hooked up, nor does it work. so if i wanna haul butt i gotta manually downshift, sucks
Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

what does the kickdown do?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:51 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

when u mash it to the floor at cruise it's supposed to downshift for you
Old 04-30-2008, 05:46 AM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

anyone with any pics of how its supposed to be?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM
straw1628
2nd Gear Member

I dont have any pics. But on my 66 the kickdown attaches at the neutral safety switch on the side of the tranny, near where the shifter linkage goes. A cable then runs the the accelerator rod, so that when you stomp on it, it will downshift. What really has helped me, is one of the original shop manuals from 66 you can get on ebay. There are some things that are very vague, but many that can help, such as how the set up the kickdown properly. Good luck
Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

manual transmission myself, so can't be much of a help.
As pointed out before, it works in such a way that if you have low rpm, high gear and full throttle then the trans switches down a gear.
so for that the kickdown has to be connected from transmission to throttle linkage. I've attached what I found in the 1964 shop manual, but I don't know if it applies to you guys as well

[IMG]local://upfiles/52145/0D3B5576B6DD462794C217C2C32DCEEC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Ok, I'm not real familiar with the C4 as I have a manual but, lets see if I can make it understandable. The kickdown is basically a valve in the trans that fights with the modulator and the governor. The job of the mod and govern is to "sense" road speed and throttle position force the trans to upshift. The cable comes in when you push the pedal, it makes the pressure that the mod has to overcome higher.If the kickdown is enough, it forces a downshift.

You will notice that it is "spring driven?", so that when you get off the pedal, it returns to its origonal position. What you want when you set it up is that when the engine is at full throttle, the trans is at full throttle.

Does that help?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:08 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

The kickdown linkage is mechanically hooked to the downshift valve within the trans. The primary throttle position sensing is from the modulator valve, but at high throttle opening situations, there isn't much vacum available to modulator so a mechnaical means of throttle senseing is required, hence the kickdown cable (or rod) tells the trans valve body ctrol circuitswhere the throttlle is. From there, depending on prevailing conditions, shifts or other hydraulic controls are determined by the valve body.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Well, I was thinking it was mechanical (rod) but I think someone said cable and it threw me off. I stand by what I said though. Unplug your modulator and see what happens...you won't get out of first gear.

Since we are dealing with a rod then. The way to adjust it would be to push it all the way to the rear (full throttle), then push the carb to full throttle. You want the pin that drives it on the carb to just be touching the back of the slot on the linkage. This will assure that the carb won't be restricked as well as the trans seeing the correct input.

Quick Reply: explain kickdown cable to me please