Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Taurus electric fan & alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:34 PM
AlexC

Default Taurus electric fan & alternator question

I'm new to the forums, been reading for a while but have never posted. Bought my first classic mustang about a month ago (70 Grande with a 302) and it has been running fine. I've been doing a few upgrades here and there,reading and learning alot from here.Long story short, a couple weekends ago I got stuck in traffic for about 15 minutes and temperature gauge nearly reached the dreaded "H" mark. Scared the heck out of me. Well, since then I've been reading about replacing the old blade fan into an electric fan and from reading on various places it seems the Taurus fan gets the best bang for the buck prize. I was near a pick-a-part a couple days ago and picked up a
Taurus fan and it's alternator. Now comes the hard part of how the heck to install them. I've read several posts and how-to's but the more I read the worse my confidence gets.
Is there anyone in Houston that can help me with this installation or a trustworthy shop I can take it to?
Thanks, Alex

Old 04-30-2008, 03:43 PM
AlexC

Default RE: Taurus electric fan & alternator question

Pictures of the current setup:

[IMG]local://upfiles/96738/CA33150FDCA94109BF8788E2B9673246.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/96738/E4C56BB0454A456DBEDFF1C9DF316647.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Well, I hate to say it now that you have gone and bought parts but, I don't think this will solve your problem. This is not a bad set-up and I think you have other issues. Is your coolant full? Maybe thermostat sticking. I would find the cause first though.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

I can't help with the install, but I would be more concerned about the radiator really, do you happen to know when the last time it was flushed and/or checked for debris in the coolant? It could very well be heavily clogged with crap that needs filtered out, and if that's the case then a new fan isn't going to do much for you.

The cooling in mine works fine and barely goes over halfway up the temp gauge if I let it sit idling during the summer, so I know the systems do work if functioning properly.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
AlexC

Coolant is full. Not sure the last time a flush was done but I bought the parts and plan or doing a flush this weekend. Hope that solves the problem. Even if that helps I think an electric fan would be a good upgrade in the long run.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:21 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

i can tell you everything you need to know about installing it, just send me a pm and i'll be glad to help
Old 04-30-2008, 04:51 PM
AlexC

ORIGINAL: SalikDDD

i can tell you everything you need to know about installing it, just send me a pm and i'll be glad to help
Awesome, PM sent
Old 04-30-2008, 05:36 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

the installation on my 67 was simple, i removed the old fan and got me some allen head bolts and just bolted the pulley back on the water pump.

my installation consisted of trimming off about 1/4" inch of the fan shroud itself and mounting it as best as i could against the radiator. i marked where it went and made 2 brackets which i welded onto the car and then bolted the fan to (you don't have to do this but i wanted mine to not have those ties through the radiator)

anyway as far as wiring it up, the blue wire which is the high speed wire is the wire you want to use. - the other is a low speed one which doesn't really do jack, and finally you have the black ground.

for wiring up with a switch or dead wiring you just run the blue wire to either an ignition source for when the car turns on and supplies power which will turn it on, or you wire it up inline with a switch to turn it off and on when you want to. now i am also under the impression it is the same as wiring it up to a sensor that will kick it on and off at a certain temperature.

you MUST use a relay or you'll fry the wiring, believe me i tested it and every butt connector i had turned into mush. i used a bosch 150 amp relay and a 50 amp switch for mine and everything works beautifully. - the relay should be a 4 wire with 2 in and 2 out, you just wire it up accordingly - you can't go wrong with it. it will either turn on or not turn on at all. so you can't mess that up.

as far as the alternator i'm using a stock alternator and it works fine, no power loss and i have a radio blaring, but that's the only other thing i'm driving is a radio - and well, the lights at night. you should have no problems with the alternator putting out enough amps to cover everything. if stuff quits working or you have a lot of power devices you need to worry about then i'd reccomend swapping over but until then you're perfectly fine with your stock alternator.

i'll try to get pictures as soon as i can (****ty nikon af-x lens on my d40x jammed and broke) and give a more detailed wiring for everyone.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Converting to an alectric fan should also give you a few ponies too, since your freeing up some mechanical drag.

Like said, now may be a good time to replace your rad or get a coolant flush if the rad is still in fine condition. Just remember, you you drain the rad yourself, your just getting what's in it, not all the fluid in the lines and block and stuff. Mechanic shops should have a machine that does this. At my shop its 69.99 but I've seen other places doing it for 300.

I plan on getting an electric fan from Advanced Auto here soon, but other stores of that nature should have them too. Not too expensive...I think its like 50 for a decent Hayden.

I also got my radiator from them...146$ vs 259$ from CJPonyParts..

Edit: I just noticed you have a `70. I had to get a 70 radiator for my 67 becuase I have a 351 so 150$ should be a good reference for you.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM
AlexC

Great information, this makes a little clearer on the install. Glad to hear the stock alternator will work with the new fan for now. I'll keep the Taurus one as a spare. I'll probably try and get a new radiator while I'm at it as well. As for the relay and switch any links on what I should buy?
I saw an electric fan wiring kit at Adanced auto parts but it only had a 30amp relay in it and no switch or instructions of any kind, it was probably to be used with the aftermarket fans they were selling.

Quick Reply: Taurus electric fan & alternator question