Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

what's a kid to do with a 289

Old 05-04-2008, 05:24 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: what's a kid to do with a 289

i would drive what you got now and pick up another 289 built for high rpms and make power midrange to up high..

289 and 302 have a stock 4"bore if im not mistaken. which would mean the 289 has a shorter stroke which = higher redline..

it would sounds godly letting off the throtle at redline and letting it coast back down (standard trans of course)
Old 05-04-2008, 07:43 PM
imnotmy77stang
2nd Gear Member

shhhh......

im trying to go incognito and you guys are messing it up
Old 05-04-2008, 08:10 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

lol glad to see you back hopefully they wont have a problem with it
Old 05-04-2008, 08:23 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I wasn't even aware there was a problem. And yeah, a good 4bbl carb/intake will get better mileage than a 2bbl, and prolly have better throttle response as well.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 PM
David09sp
1st Gear Member

I was in your same spot also a couple years ago. Guess I started earlier. First of all dont pay for power with lack of safety, trust me, even when you think oh its good enough, when you stomp thos stiff gears and powerful heads you'll notice now that stopping is joke. Take 1k out of your budget and save it for your paint and possibly some double stripes down the middle. And take about $300 out also and save that for extras. What you will notice is that into your build you will run into problems, and it sucks running into road blocks. After all that is done, rebuild your 289 yourself and add heads cam etc. Or you could do an engine swap, but after that you will need to replace more parts with the added power. Restomods are money pits. Make a matrix (math) of what you want and make sure to go from ground zero and place the prices.

In all unfortunately for I, back in my fathers day (70's - 80's, the time I wish I was born) muscle cars owned the streets, and women loved the sound of 69 reving, pure sex as they called it. Women in highschool are slowly turning to the tuners I have noticed. But all more sexy when you find one that loves the muscle
Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: younginwith66

and for the summer i can look forward to working a bunch of days at In-N-Out to pay for anything else i want to do

ahhhhh.... In N Out... I miss So. Cal so much! I went to school in Murrietta for a semester last year, and the suckiest thing aobut Texas is the total and complete absence of In N Out.

About your car, don't worry too much about going fast just yet. Beef up the drivetrain first, and the speed will come. I'd do a carb/intake exhaust swap to get your motor started, then get the rest of the car ready for the horsepower. I got my '67 coupe when I was 16, and I paid for it all my self. That was 4 years ago, and I'm still not done with it, but it sue is faster! With a '66, I'd go with a 331 stroker, as it will fit in the easiest and be reliable and won't be as bad on gas mileage as a Windsor block. Do the trans and rear end before you rebuild the motor though, cuz you'll just end up braking the original stuff.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:59 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: superdavid

and for the summer i can look forward to working a bunch of days at In-N-Out to pay for anything else i want to do

ahhhhh.... In N Out... I miss So. Cal so much! I went to school in Murrietta for a semester last year, and the suckiest thing aobut Texas is the total and complete absence of In N Out.

About your car, don't worry too much about going fast just yet. Beef up the drivetrain first, and the speed will come. I'd do a carb/intake exhaust swap to get your motor started, then get the rest of the car ready for the horsepower. I got my '67 coupe when I was 16, and I paid for it all my self. That was 4 years ago, and I'm still not done with it, but it sue is faster! With a '66, I'd go with a 331 stroker, as it will fit in the easiest and be reliable and won't be as bad on gas mileage as a Windsor block. Do the trans and rear end before you rebuild the motor though, cuz you'll just end up braking the original stuff.
mmmmm...In N Out, I'm thinking a Redding run this summer to crave my hunger.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 AM
younginwith66
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: superdavid

how can you live without it?!?!?!?!

but the question remains as to exactly what carb and intake? i was thinking about the holly 650 street avenger, is that a good carb to go with? and what intake should i match it with? i was thinking about the weiand stealth, or something around that price
Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 AM
imnotmy77stang
2nd Gear Member

<-- recommends the following.....
wieand #8124 or edelbrock performer rpm intake. the wieand will be a bit better off the line and still perform real close to the edelbrock in the higher rpms.

anything from a holley 570 street avenger to a barry grant 625 road demon for a carb - nothing bigger than that.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:20 PM
younginwith66
1st Gear Member

now i think that i can do =D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what's a kid to do with a 289