Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustangs Plus 4.5 leaf/Edelbrock IAS review

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default Mustangs Plus 4.5 leaf/Edelbrock IAS review

I went out today and installed the 4.5 leaf mid-eye springs I picked up from Mustangs Plus last weekend, and replaced my old (but still plenty stiff) KYB Gas-A-Just shocks in the rearwith new Edelbrock IAS units. Front shocks were done a couple months back, if you're curious.

Anyway, I just got back from driving it. I'm very happy with the setup. The springs I took off were 1" drop (but not mid-eye) 4.5 leafs that were sagged and clanging due to broken clamps and bad bushings. The new setup left the rear end about 1/2" to 1" higher than before, which is good, because after a Shelby drop and partial coil cut, it should be just about even in the front, if not (very) slightly raked.

The ride is amazing. Much less jarring than with the old springs and super stuff KYB's. The springs arestiffer, but theEdelbrock shocks soak up bumps and dips much, much better than the KYB's ever did. Handling is noticably improved, especially under power. There's less body roll in the rear, and less tendancy for the rear to keep going straight while I'm turning. Wheel-hop is nil. Granted, my open rear and Radial T/A's can't even pretend to plant all the power I'm trying to put down, but flooring it in first produces a nice white cloud and no noticable wheel hop.

I know everybody (including myself) isn't a big fan of M+, but I really do like these springs. I think 5 leafs would've been way too much, and even the GT 4-leafs wouldn't have been quite enough for me. And M+ is the only place that offers 4.5 leaf mid-eyes for that 1" drop.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustangs Plus 4.5 leaf/Edelbrock IAS review

Glad to hear its running tight and smooth.

I'll be going with either the Edelbrock or Monroe shocks as I've been in a number of cars with the KYB Gas-A-Justs and have always found them very hard.. as you said jarring. I'll be ordering rear leafs and front coils in the next month and still haven't decide what I want yet for our 67 daily driver. Will be doing the Shelby 1" Drop. I'm leaning towards the stock replacements as I'm worried of getting something thats too stiff. I'm not looking to lower the car any and want a nice level look. Never liked the low stance myself. Going with 15" wheels with a good sidewall.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:20 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

So the IAS shocks work like they say, nice. Now you need a locker/posi unit and some better tires. The Gas-a-justs can be rather stiff at times. How do the IAS's do as far as dampening under performance driving, do they control as well as the KYB's?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Every bit, yes, and then some. The difference there was more noticable in the front.When I switched the fronts, body roll was significantly reduced under hard cornering, but ride quality was improved.

The KYB's handle great, and I'd still recommend them because they're great shocks for the price, but the high pressure gas charged design is always going to produce a rough ride.

I'd recommend against Monroes. They're designed for a very cushy ride and don't handle very well at all, IMO. If you're looking for ride quality, go with KYB GR-2's or the Edelbrock IAS's. The Edelbrocks are expensive, but now I understand why
Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

The edelbrocks IAS shocks have an internal valve system that can sense changes in driving and terrain and adjust accordingly. So basically you have a nice smooth shock for cruising and a stiffer shock when you get on it. They are worth it from what I hear.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

My father has the Monroe shocks on his 72 Ambassador SST which is a big car. It handles great for a car of its size and is quite comfortable.. cushy as you say. That said its completely different from a Mustang and I understandwhat your saying. Definitely don't want the KYBs so I'll give the IAS shocks a try. As its going to be driven daily I'm looking for comfort and handling.

btw.. damnit.. I see Edelbrock's Store had them on sale for 29.99! Sold Out now
Old 05-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. Even with the stiffer springs, they provide a much smoother ride than the high pressure gas charged KYB's, but they still handle better.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:24 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

I had monroes on my stang and I hated them got koni on love them!!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The saying goes,Konis are so stiff thatyou can run over a dime and tell if it's heads or tails
Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Tad,

That is what I like all american car i have driven are too soft for my tastes and the koni's are adjustable so I am sure you can make the realy soft like monroe or hard like i want. I have mine the same as some autocrossers on this site.