Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

seat risers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Default seat risers

Hey Guys.

I was fabbing up my seat brackets for my race seats and once I put the sliders on they still sit to tall for me.
My 66 has sub frame connectors bolted and welded in place and I have the rear roll bar installed also.

You think I can loose the risers with out to much structural worries?
Going thru the riser mod of back and lower just doesnt seem wort the gain to me since I have the adjustable mounts to get the seat hight back up if it sits to low without the pan.
I know I need to drop some steel or aluminum plate under the pan for the bolts to not tear thru.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default RE: seat risers

I don't think I'd go without the seat platforms. How much are you looking at lowering the seats? Could always cut an inch or so off the bottom of the seat platforms, cut the corners up an inch and bend them out. Then weld them in. This would still give you the platform for the strength and not worry about the seat bolts coming through.

I'm just the opposite, I need to get the seats up another inch as I find I sit a bit low. The wife sits even lower and with the 68 Shelby FB hood its that much higher so I need to boost ours up quite a bit for her.

Edit.. PS.. You'd likely have to cut and bend a bit on the trans hump top side also due to the width difference once you lower it an inch or more.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:35 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

I bit the bullet and cut the driverside out. I did some Aluminum blocks under neath the floor pan and welding in another layer of steel 2"x2" on top of the holes.
OMG it has some leg room and headroom now! Kinda like my caddy lol
It clears the roll bar now just enough. Big difference. I am 6'4" and 265lbs so it was great improvement for my comfort.
Add the note I do have roll bar and full frame now and this is reversible if I do need to put the pans back in later. My drivers side riser was cracked and needed replacing anyway so I gave this a shot.
Looking underneath while I was down there today,my exhaust is tucked up nicely and the lowest point is the subframe connectors.
Think Ill make a bolt in X brace for the support I lost in taking out the seat riser.
Picts soon.

Tho doesnt look like ill have it ready for the Yearone event this weekend damn it! lol
BTW anyone from here other than me going Saturday?
Looks like my wife wants to run her 04 GT in the parade laps should be fast enough to make her happy with out getting in over her head. Shhh dont tell her I said that!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

do you have any pics of the seat or anything? what kind are they?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 AM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racin66coupe

do you have any pics of the seat or anything? what kind are they?
+1 I'd like to see pics of mod, too. I was planning to do the seat pan mod I saw on one of the websites, but this might be better.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Not sure if I'd go without the seat platform entirely like this. I just replaced both in our car and to me it seams that together they would add quite a bit of structural strength to the center of the car. They form a sort of brace through the center from rocker to trans hump to rocker. I'd think removing these would give the center of the car more flex and less stiffness.. even with the sub frame connectors.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:22 PM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, that's why I wanted to see pics. To me it looks like the seat risers act like crossmembers by tying the rocker panel to the tranny tunnel.