Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65' Rear Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Default 65' Rear Suspension?

I am wanting to start redoing my rear suspension on my car when I get it back from the interior shop. I just finished doing my front suspension but I am just not sure on what I want to go with on the rear yet. The only thing I am sure on is that I want Koni shocks because I already have them on the front. I am looking for some recommendations for the rest.

Also, am I going to need to get another alignment after I finish the rear suspension? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Piraya33
I am wanting to start redoing my rear suspension on my car when I get it back from the interior shop. I just finished doing my front suspension but I am just not sure on what I want to go with on the rear yet. The only thing I am sure on is that I want Koni shocks because I already have them on the front. I am looking for some recommendations for the rest.

Also, am I going to need to get another alignment after I finish the rear suspension? Thanks!
You can get show-correct GT springs with all attaching hardware from Glazier Nolan for $185. Add a set of Traction Masters to eliminate wheel hop, and with the Konis, you'll be ready to autocross. No alignment required.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If you want something a little more firm than that, 4.5 leafs are still roadworthy without being super harsh. I like mine, and Jonward seems to like his aside from one of them sagging (M+ said they'd send him a new pair). Not sure I'd want to run Konis with them, though. Gas-A-Justs were pretty brutal on the rear. Jonward actually took his off in the rear in favor of GR-2's

Last edited by Starfury; 10-28-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
If you won't something a little more firm than that, 4.5 leafs are still roadworthy without being super harsh. I like mine, and Jonward seems to like his aside from one of them sagging (M+ said they'd send him a new pair). Not sure I'd want to run Konis with them, though. Gas-A-Justs were pretty brutal on the rear. Jonward actually took his off in the rear in favor of GR-2's.
Why not run Konis with this setup? I can adjust them from firm to soft if needed. Are the 4.5 leafs stiffer than the GT leafs previously mentioned? How much drop would I be looking at if I went with the 4.5 mid-eye leafs?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Mid-eye springs are supposed to be a 1" to 1-1/2" drop. I'm very happy with the ride height in the rear, and Jonward's looks good on the side that isn't sagged. He runs 17's (like you apparently do) and they fill the wheel well nicely. Combined with 1" drop springs up front, they provide a good, level ride.

The GT springs are 4-leaf (but stiffer than the non-GT springs) and will ride smoother. IIRC (and 2+2GT will be able to confirm this), they also ride a little lower than original springs. The 4.5 leaf setup is slightly stiffer, but most of the purpose of the extra half-leaf is to help prevent axle wrap.

I've heard Konis are very stiff, even on the lowest setting. Combined with a stiffer 4.5 leaf spring, it'll be enough to make the *** end hop around if you hit a bump while cornering. Even my old, worn 4.5 leaf springs were harsh with Gas-A-Justs. When I swapped to Edelbrocks, the ride smoothed out considerably.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Height is relative. OE were supposed to be pretty much the same height. If your originals are saggy, the GT's will actually raise it a bit. I replaced the original springs on a 67 GT350 last summer for this reason, the OE were dead.

This car has the springs I mentioned earlier.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:40 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

New Mid eye versus new standard height spring comparo

Old 10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

[QUOTE=dodgestang;6601998]New Mid eye versus new standard height spring comparo.QUOTE]

Is that Traction Masters under there? Those and the 1" drop of the upper arms are the two most cost-effective mods possible on these cars.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Is that Traction Masters under there? Those and the 1" drop of the upper arms are the two most cost-effective mods possible on these cars.
At the time of this photo both cars had traction master under riders on them. The fastback has since blown out one of the under riders and had the rear suspension upgraded with a watts and a 3 link setup so it no longer has under riders.

Quick Reply: 65' Rear Suspension?