Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

2.3L Turbo swap into 1967 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:45 PM
spdrcer34
1st Gear Member

Default 2.3L Turbo swap into 1967 Mustang

I just bought a 1967 Mustang for my daughter and I to build over the next few years.

The plan is to swap in a 1980's 2.3L Turbo motor. Has this ever been done before? Anyone in particular I should be in contact with concerning this swap?

I am verywell versed inautomobiles, and now I'm going to teach my daughter everything I know...

If you guys can help,it would be a lot easier on thebank account ifI don't have togo into uncharted waters....

Thanks,

Ryan & Ryen
Old 06-15-2008, 09:29 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2.3L Turbo swap into 1967 Mustang

Well, Id say it can be done, and it will be great if you are planning to build the slowest 67 Mustang ever imagined. Even in Foxbodies, a stock 2.3 SVO (Turbo) is a dog. They are soooo slow. My car stock would eat one of these alive. Do what you want, but I just think it is a waste of a perfectly good car. Sorry if I amputting you down, but those motors are horrible in stock form, and would be a lot more sluggish in a 67 because it weighs a lot more than any Foxbody. I think it is great you are teaching your daughter. Most girls know nothing about cars, so its nice to know that some are still learning about them. In my opinion, I think it would be cooler if you taught her about American V8 muscle instead of the American ricer wannabe. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

isnt angilagasser doing this?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 PM
spdrcer34
1st Gear Member

This is not about building a fast car. Nor is it about building a car fast...

She is almost 12. And she will learn how to drive with this car. And then it will be her car.

If I was building it for myself, I would be dropping in a 5.0L from an Explorer and going from there.

This is my daughters car. And with gas prices jumping from $2 to $4.50 in 4 years, what will it cost 4 years from now?

Even with 200hp (easily achieved with these motors) at the crank it will be a decent commuter to and from school/work, and get good gas mileage.

Ryan
Old 06-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

+1 racin66

search angliagasser in the members list and try to contact him. he had quite a long thread running about this swap but it may have been lost in recent disruptions to this forum.

personally i understand your reasoning and i am not gunna speak out against it...but there's something about the idea of a 4cyl in a 67 mustang that just doesnt do it for me[:-] In all seriousness, I think you could get better economy/driveability/reliability results from a late model efi 6 with an o/drive box.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:00 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I think you have a great idea. I'm into modding, and if you want to do a turbo 4, then go for it. 200 ponies in these light cars will get you down the road as fast as you need to go. Often so many people think everything has to have the high HP engines that often we forgetthatthepurpose may be something other than racing or burning rubber. I think this will be a very good combo and great project, not to mention the quality time spent together. Along with the 4 banger, I would opt for some more safety features (3 point belts, metal fire barrier in the rear, disc brake upgrade etc. Other than some fab issues, it should be straight foward. You may want to keep track of the ECM from the donar car and make many notes, as the after market ones are expensive. Also, the same withthe fuel system.Otherwise, do it and have fun.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:01 PM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

IMO, you will spend a whole lot of time, money, and anger before you get it done and end up with a very mediocre car that gets mediocre gas mileage. If good gas mileage is what you are looking for then why not just get her a honda civic? I don't know much about that engine (2.3 liter SVO) but I doubt the gas mileage was GREAT on them, and add that to a classic mustang (I think they weigh 35 or 3700 pounds?) and all you have is a car that looks sweet, cost a lot of money, and doesn't move well.

Don't get mad, its just my personal opinion, but do what you want.
If you still want to go forward with it do a simple Google search, I just did and found a few sites (i'm not posting it here though because they are from other mustang forums and I don't know the rules about posting it here.. I seacherd for "2.3 mustang engine swap classic mustang"

Best of luck to you! and welcome to the forum!
I would say search the forum, but the last I knew the search feature was down, I don't know if it is fixed yet?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:02 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

A 2 barrel 302 in stock form would get 20 MPG easily (I know, I had one in my car before I built the 347). At least it would still have 8 cylinders and get good mileage. They aren't overly fast, so thats not a concern. I just think a 4 cyl in any mustang is only half of the motor they were intended to have.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:14 PM
spdrcer34
1st Gear Member

I have alot of experience with these 2.3L Turbo motors. I used to own a Merkur XR4Ti.....That was a great little fast car...

As for why don't I just buy her a Honda? Well, she would have a hard time finding a place to park it, as it won't be aloud at this house.

As she gets older, we can turn up the power on the motor easily....but you guys are forgetting the fact that this will be for a 15 y.o. girl...

This car will look way better than the99-04 Mustang that SHE wanted...and get better mileage than Me or my wife's Explorers.

It's either the 2.3T orthe 4.0L drivetrain out of my Explorer when I drop in my 347/T-56.

But I would much rather put the 2.3T in there.....it's different.

Ryan
Old 06-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_4904241/tm.htm

most recent post on anglaigassers build
good luck with the project

Quick Reply: 2.3L Turbo swap into 1967 Mustang