Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bench bleeding a Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default Bench bleeding a Master Cylinder

Any suggestions? Ive never done it before. Do I just fill the cylinder, cover it and then pump it a couple of times?It came with bleedingplugs, how do those work, do they just plug the holes? Whats the trick?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Bench bleeding a Master Cylinder

The CSRP instructions were kind of odd, I thought. The way I was taught to do it is to rig a couple hoses to run from the m/c fittings back into the bowls. You put some fluid in the bowls and start pumping until you don't get any more air bubbles. I did this in the car, for lack of a vise.

Napa sells a small kit that comes with several fittings, some flexible tubing, and a clip to hold the tubing to the m/c housing. It's something like $8, heh.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:23 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Withthose you connect some tubing from the ports back into the reservoir with fluid in itand while the master is in a vice you push where the plunger goes (the hole between the two bolt holes on the back of the master) and pump it a few times till no more air bubbles come out of the tubes.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Get a bleeding kit from the autoparts store, 2 plugs with nipples and two clear hoses. place the plugs in the ports and attach the clear hoses to the nipples and then curve them in to the bole. fill the bowel and pump the MC until all the bubbles are out. Make sure the end of the hoses never come out of the bowel or you will suck air in to the MC
Old 06-19-2008, 11:25 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

The way I ave done it is to install a short piece of hose on the ports on the master cylinder. u will need a fitting to screw in there to do this. You can get a bench bleeding kit at the part store that has the hose and fittings. Once you have the hoses on there you just loop them up into the resivoir, fill the resevoir and pump the plunger. The hoses should be submerged in the fluid and you pump till you don't see any more bubbles. I use those spring paper clamps to hold the hoses so I don't have to and I clamp the master cylinder in a vise. Its simple. Once no more bubbles come out you can pull the hoses out, put the cap on, remove the fittings and then put some plugs in t ports to hold the fluid until you get it back in the car.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

lol, we all posted within 4min of eachother
Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

That is what you call "question answered by firing squad"
Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, but the truly amazing thing is that we all had the same answer for a change[sm=groupwave.gif]
Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

You guys are great.. and my lazy butt actually looked it up on google and found the answers about 30 seconds after posting.. thanks guys..

I think I will bench bleed it in the car because I too dont have a vice. However,, I could allways buy one as the "well I need a vice to bleed the thing" purchase.. hmmm...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

make sure you pump slowly as the m/c will pump fluid out with quick strokes. it will splash on paint and in the engine compartment

just warning you cause i dont want to see a post about stripped paint

Quick Reply: Bench bleeding a Master Cylinder