Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Default Worth it?

I have the potential to pick up this car tomorrow.

If the fiance doesnt want it permanently, I can let her drive it this summer than flip it in the fall. Guy wants $3000 I talked him down to $1700

He says it runs and drives great. Probably needs tires, from what I gather. Says it fires right up and runs strong. C4 auto. Paint is pretty decent, had some quarter repairs doneby the PO, but improperly, so there is some bubbling.

So for $1700 plus pickup (approx $250, gas and trailer)

$1950... worth it, from what you can see?

(These pics are from his cell, I have yet to see it in person. Is only about an hour and a half from my house.)

Old 06-24-2008, 09:27 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Worth it?

No-one knows what's available in yourarea as well you. The rust looks pretty bad. Ohio isn't what anyone would consider a "rust friendly state", but if it runs and drives, you could probably flip it fairly easy. I doubt the GF/wife will be impressed with it, you might be better off finding something she's going to be happy with.

Dave
Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Looks kind of ghost-like. Is the chrome painted white? I would have a hard time believing it would be safe for her.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Well 'm capable of doing whatever needs done to make it safe and drivable... i think the chrome might be painted... really hard to tell. Figured i might make the drive, if its not worth it, id pass... just wanted other opinions i guess. in the midwest anything with a good frame is automatically an excellent start, lol.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:01 PM
AtTheLake

Dollars aside, you need to think if it will be worth it when your fiance cuts you off until she has a car with AC, door locks, power steering, and a modern stereo. It has been my experience that if you put a woman in something they really do not want, you will will get a pound of grief for every little real or perceived inconvenience or hardship. Now if it is their idea a different story.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

that needs serious body work. let me know if you need a I6 air cleaner or a 72 302 cleaner. the I6 is in A shape the 72 is B shape

i personally am so skeptical about the body work. it looks like the entire panel is eiether rusted out or dented in and they used body filler thicker than a half inch. and then they painted teh whole car to hide it. i know that nowadays we run into this nonsense but i suppose that about three weeks of solid work can strip it and fix it to the point of a decent paint job to resell.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 PM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

The quarter panel looks pretty bad, but IMO it is worth it, as long as the frame isn't rusted and it runs/drives good.
Looks pretty rust free for around here.. I think you would have no problem flipping it.
Bumpers are painted white.
Good luck. When you going to look at it?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

i got my 68, coupe with a built 302, ran pefectly, NO rust for $2200, IMHO i wouldnt buy that car
Old 06-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Already planned on passing. After talking to the guy more, he knows very lttle about it. I wanna know more about its history than he knows. OH WELL. Guess have to hold onto my money.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Waffles you're very skilled and knowledgeable...I know I had poor judgement when I bought my car but I think you should wait till you come down south for the 45th Anniversary at Barbers and buy one from down here that is better shape than that one.

Quick Reply: Worth it?