Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

4.6 engine. 67 mustang. opps, info, tech advice or just insults.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 engine. 67 mustang. opps, info, tech advice or just insults.

I'm waiting to do this very same mod.

I recently "passed" on an '03 SC DOHC 4.6 motor for $2500. I figure the longer I wait, the cheaper they'll get. I'm actually thinking I'll be dead and buried before I ever attempt this "swap". The work involved is incredible.

The DOHC motor is almost 50% wider than a SBF. I had a picture of the 2 engines side by side, but I can't find it right now....

I wouldn't go through all of the headaches for a SOHC motor, evenif it were a brand new motor.

Here's a picture of what you're up against....

Fabbing up a custom firewall and new floor system is the EASY part.

One of the biggest headaches is the relocation of the steering column, the brake and clutch pedals.....

Unless you have a fewyears to kill and have absolutely nothing better to do..... I'd recommend that you steer clear of the mod motor swap.

Dave
Old 07-08-2008, 04:12 PM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

dave thanks for the pictures. i was planning on a 2v. they are a little bit narrower. and ive heard you can use the rod and custom MII setup to lower the trans angle to avoid fabrication the tunnel.

but the more i think about it im probably going to hold off on the idea for now because i think my friend is going to want way to much for his motor.

im still going to beg him for his 8.8 with 3.55 gears. but other than that im going to wait. i was planning on picking it up on the cheap and just keeping it on the side until i purchased the suspesnsion and do it all at once.

but the mroe and mroe i think about it i think for a DD a T-5 will suffice for now. and it will cost me much less and less of a headache. my current motor is a good one and i have no good reason to pull it out at the moment.

but on a side note its quite interesting how they mocked up the floor.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

The guy doing that swap is an engineer and master fabricator. I think he's in year 8 of the build. I love seeing his work and glad it's him and not me.

I've used the R&C MII suspension swap kit and it's a great kit. The DOHC 4.6 motor is a LOT more than just fitting it between the frame rails.

Your master cylinder and hyd. clutch master usually have to be mounted up under the dash.

Dave
Old 07-08-2008, 07:12 PM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

y e a r 8...

i have about as much patience for that tedious fab work as i do for commies.

none.

jk, i love body work. maybe ill pick up a 69-70 fastback and drop a 5.4 in one day. that would be a cool project.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:16 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

The car that davesanborn posted is using a full custom frame. I believe its an Art Morrison MaxG chassis. This is also what Bobby Alloway used for the 4.6 DOHC twin turbo fast back he built. You don't have to go that far to do the conversion but it sure is nice.

Link to Alloway's mustang http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...ack/index.html

The MaxG chassis http://artmorrison.com/layout.php?y=...ofile/&x=index

My build pics on photo bucket. http://photobucket.com/stangtjk
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Joe67
Banned

Originally Posted by boogerschnot
That doesnt seem totaled to me.. New hood, fender, and bumper and your all good.. Unless his insurance company is saying different with a decent price..

oh and lights..

Sounds like a cool project though.. I would jump on it..
Yes it is totaled, it may look like just a hood and fender, but form personal experience and what i can barely make out on the picture the upper rail of the engine bay is bent back and possibly up, the shock tower is out of its position, which is one of THE hardest things to align on a frame rack, plus there could be some lower rail damage depending on speed of impact, angle of collision, etc etc etc....
Old 12-18-2008, 09:22 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The big down side to the art morrison frame is making a floor pan for it.http://www.gmachinechassis.com/ frame you only have to change the gas tank and front half of the car.I have drove a chevelle with one of his frames it handled better then i thought.On newer unibody cars the metal is thin and with the crumple zones that gets pricey to fix and air bags if they blow out those are pricey too.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:22 AM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

If you've got the money to put down on either one of those frames I'd have a hard time believing you'd be concerned with fabricating a new floor pan.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

give him 1200 for the whole car, buy a 6 cylinder 94-98 from the junkyard and make a gt put the leather seats in the classic.

i wouldnt waste any money imho on a non pi swap or even a pi swap, esp since a 5.0 would be much cheaper