Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

CSRP (Sort of) Disc Brake Swap DONE!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Default CSRP (Sort of) Disc Brake Swap DONE!!

The difference from manual drum to power disc makes me want to cry. I don't feel like I'm going to die everytime the person in front of me touches their brakes now. The kit I bought was on ebay from direct fit brakes, ONLY because they told me they were going to order the CSRP kit and include a new booster assembly, brake pedal, and master cylinder with it... would've cost me more if I had order all that seperately, so CSRP still gets the business, and I get their quality kit plus the power.

The Swap took quite a while. I had a friend (ASE Master Tech) helping me. I did one front wheel while he did the other. We had both spindles, rotors, calipers everything swapped out within an hour and a half, and that includes some time BSing.

For this reason, I think the granada swap is great. What took some time was the booster didnt fit perfectly, in fact it was kind of a pain, till we figured a workaround. The MC I had had had two loose bolts that bolted into half moon nuts welded to the bracket on the inside of the firewall... well the new mc/booster assembly had studs welded onto it... in metric, so no was to twist them into the nuts welded inside the firewall. No problem. A drill cleared the threads off of them no problem, so the studs would slide through them, then we just attached nuts on the inside. (THE BOOSTER IS NOT FROM CSRP. IT WAS INCLUDED FROM DFBRAKES, SO I DON'T WANT ANY REASON FOR ANYONE FROM CSRP TO JUMP ON ME AND SAY THAT I AM TRASH TALKING. I LOVED EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR PART OF THE SWAP.)

Hooking up the new brake pedal was a pain only because we had to remove the drivers seat and steering wheel to offer as much clearance as possible, then lay on my back arched over the seat riser so i could shove my face up under the dashboard. Tight fit, but I'd prefer that over it being loose and floppy.... (wouldn't we all..... )

Bench bled the MC. No problem. Kit came with an adjustable proportioning valve, which is very cool to have. Making new lines from the MC to the proportioning valve, to the distribution block etc was a pain, but it was do able. Hooked up a hose from the booster to my Vacuum distributor octopus i have, and we were golden.

All in all the brake system took.... 8 hours. Like I said, figure on an hour or so of BSing, and 2 hours for lunch. 5 hours, maybe. I'm very pleased. Took a couple pics, but not many. Didn't wanna waste too much time, the fiancee was texting me like a billion times wondering when i was gonna get home so we could "celebrate" the 4th, which makes it really tough to agree to stay longer and screw around with the car.

yeah you guys are stuck with me for awhile now... I don't think I'll be dying as a direct result of my brakes any time soon.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:03 AM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CSRP (Sort of) Disc Brake Swap DONE!!

waffles if you dont mind could fill me in on how much you paid? you can pm or just post it if at all possible.

im trying to find out the best way to get some discs.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:33 AM
NvrSumR
1st Gear Member

Just yesterday I completed my disk brake swap on my 68 (minus bleeding the brakes). Although my car isn't running quite yet I can't wait to take it out to feel the difference.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, discs make a big difference. I've got the OE style manual disc setup on my 67 now (courtesy of Daze and CSRP)and I love it
Old 07-05-2008, 02:24 PM
degins
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67BullittCoupe

waffles if you dont mind could fill me in on how much you paid? you can pm or just post it if at all possible.

im trying to find out the best way to get some discs.
65-66 Power brake conversion kit for automatic trans- $674 + S&H, includes either Granada, or K/H type brake kit.
67-69 Powerbrake conversion kit for automatic trans- $749 + S&H, includes either Granada, or K/H, or OE type brake kit.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:51 PM
67droptop1
2nd Gear Member

I am glad you got your brakes worked out. I didn't want to change your name to PANCAKE!
Old 07-05-2008, 05:01 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

^ LOL

nice job on the swap it sure would have taken me wayyy longer. And it sounds good that you won't die, or more importantly wreck your beautiful car.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
What took some time was the booster didnt fit perfectly, in fact it was kind of a pain, till we figured a workaround. The MC I had had had two loose bolts that bolted into half moon nuts welded to the bracket on the inside of the firewall... well the new mc/booster assembly had studs welded onto it... in metric, so no was to twist them into the nuts welded inside the firewall. No problem. A drill cleared the threads off of them no problem, so the studs would slide through them, then we just attached nuts on the inside. (THE BOOSTER IS NOT FROM CSRP. IT WAS INCLUDED FROM DFBRAKES, SO I DON'T WANT ANY REASON FOR ANYONE FROM CSRP TO JUMP ON ME AND SAY THAT I AM TRASH TALKING. I LOVED EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR PART OF THE SWAP.)
I'm told that CSRP now offers a booster that does not require modification of the firewall hole, and uses smaller diameter booster studs that pass through the OEM pedal bracket holes, without drilling or removing the captive nuts. I had this info from Glazier Nolan, who sells the CSRP brake systems.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 PM
jeffc987

I did the power disk brakes on my 67 Mustang from dfbrakes. I've since lost the build sheet of what all the parts were from. The booster just lost a seal and isn't working. Would someone send me a copy of the list or at least what the booster is from? It certainly is not the Mustang booster :-)

We ended up using the manual MC and kept the old pedal. Everything has been fine for 5 years until the booster bit it. The disks are so much nicer than the drum.

Thanks,

Jeff