Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Aiming Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Aiming Headlights

Wow it's funny to see outr cars toghewther on the same screen. We actually have the same color. Mine's not photoshopped, either.

I actually did the paint myself. The Mach 1 black application was screwed up because I did it from photos, and the really nice Mach 1 in the shot was wrong. My pinstripe and space is too narrow, etc. The car has spots that have been painted by a local shop 7-8 times. I have a tiny bit of rust in the right quarter at the bottom, and I'm hoping somebody clocks me there too. When I park at Vons supermarket, it's always at the end of the row. Unfortunately, nobody ever hits this car anymore!

Thanks for the LB paint shop info. If I get the whole thing painted one day, I'll check it out for sure. PM me the info.

***BACK TO THE THREAD!***

Sorry about the hijack. I don't know how uncool that is here. The threads move really fast when everything to do with classic cars is in one forum.

My next problem is finding a level place to aim the lights. My driveway is on a hill like everything else here, lol.

CP

PS: I don't know if it's my browser, or whatever, but the multiple apostrophe thing is trippy. Freaks me out. I hope the search engine here is fixed soon also.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

You might want to check the Shop Manual for the correct setup. Not at the garage yet however we replaced the headlights in my fathers AMC last week and the setup to re-aim them was explained in his Shop Manual.

Basically park on a flat level surface about 30 feet away from the wall of a building. Measure up X height then measure out your lowbeam and highbeam distances, marking with masking tape. Adjust your headhights at night so both beams hit the marks. Go out for a drive and do any final adjustments that may be required. I'll check ours once I get to the shop though its for a 67.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 AM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

How are you guys opening it I click on the link and a box comes up it says to open with or save to disk. I tried both and still can't get to open it. When I click save to disk it says something about window needs to know what program created it.Windows can go on line to look for it but then it won't work.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

pdf files use Adobe Acrobat, which should be available free as a download somewhere. This one was specifically created in Adobe Acrobat 7.0, but I think earlier Acrobat versions will be able to read most of it OK.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:15 AM
wsovonick
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4reboy

^ I know of a great shop in long beach area that would fix it if that happened. Great custom shop, their the guys that did mine. However I'm sure you already have a great shop considering the nice paint job they did already
I see you gotyour Mach 1out on the street. Looking good!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:38 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Norm and Tad have it

The law is not about how far they're supposed to illuminate. It's about the angle.
I have no value for mustangs but any modern day car usually works with 1%
(in germany that's that's the law, so I guess it won't be _much_ different in any other country)
That means for 100feet distance it has to drop by 1foot.
in the weblink above 25feet distance and 2" (1/6 of a foot) drop which is about 0.66%. In germany it should be 1/4foot (3")
considering that most mustangs are quite bumpy in the back you'd want them a buit lower anyway.
for those who cannot find a straight strech with wall that's 25 foot long, try
8foot distance, 1" drop etc

At the same time they're supposed to shine straight ahead, so see Norms post to check on that ...

ohhh and the mach1 is a beauty!!!!

Kalli

Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 AM
chris0549
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the post it was helpful
Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have had the best like with aiming the high beams so they are the most effective. I go out to a dark county road or something like that. Then I make sure the low beams are low enough. I never had any luck using the wall or garage door method. I always angle the driver side headlight slightly lower than the passenger side.