Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hydraulic Clutch & Power Brake Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:25 AM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hydraulic Clutch & Power Brake Booster

The plate goes on the inside. Note that it's visible in my above photo.

Dave
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

Ok I screwed that all up. Either I'm getting too old or I have dyslexia.What I meant was I put the plate INSIDE, as a backing plate but if it were used outside as a spacer it would place the rod at about the correct length.
It appears that I have mine installed correctly like you have and either I need to make a spacer to movethe m/coutboard from the firewall or modify my pedal with an additional bracket. I bolted the rod through the original clutch rod hole on the side of the pedal.
What did you do to keep from getting too much pedal travel? IIRC it's only supposed to travel 1 inch.
Sorry about the confusion.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:15 AM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

Take a real close look at my picture and you'll see exactly what I did.... notice the boxed bracket on the side of the pedal? Offset bolts to get the push rod in the perfect spot.

Dave
Old 07-11-2008, 11:47 AM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

I can see that. It looks good and I'll make something similar for mine. I assume you took measurements from the pedal and the push rod when both were at rest to come up with the correct location for the hole in the bracket?Did you have to make any kind of pedal stop to keep from having too much travel?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

I assume you took measurements from the pedal and the push rod when both were at rest to come up with the correct location for the hole in the bracket?
Exactly.... sort of.

I installed the clutch master after the brakes were done. I had an established brake pedal height. I wanted the brake and clutch pedals to have the exact same pedal height. I aligned the dangling clutch pedal with the established brake pedal, and then marked on a template where the pedal lined up with the rod end on the end of the clutch master pushrod.

From the template I designed the boxed bracket.

There's more than meets the eye with that "boxed" bracket.

Look very closely at the back side of the clutch pedal..... barely visible (mostly below the attachment bolt) is a "lip" welded onto the backside of the bracket. This lip serves to keep the bracket firmly in place along the back side of the clutch pedal. Without the lip, I was worried that the lone bolt holding the bracket to the clutch pedal may see too much stress,loosen, and allow the bracket to rotate. The lip prevents the bracket from rotating. Capish?

Also not visible.... The "top" of the "U" shaped bracket is covered by a piece of flat stock. This, in effect, creates the "boxed" portion of the bracket. Without the boxing, I was nervous that the "U" may over time "bend" or distort. People seem to forget that this is "levered" force being applied to the push rod. Sure, it's not a lot of foot/leg pressure to push down on the pedal pad, but the pushrod is connected much closer to the fulcrum point and therefore sees much greater forces.

Also not detectable.... There are two seperate bolts used to secure the bracket. One bolt holds the bracket to the factory hole in the clutch pedal. The other bolt holds the push rod to the bracket. By using two seperate bolts, the bracket acts as a spacer... and allows the two points to be offset from each other. This allows for the perfect alignment of the push rod.... so that it travels smoothly and straight into the clutch master.

Did you have to make any kind of pedal stop to keep from having too much travel?
Nope.

I hope this helps!

Dave
Old 07-11-2008, 01:59 PM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

Yeah that helps a lot. I see everything you're talking about and it makes sense. I'm going to try to fab up something similar and maybe get past this sticking point in my build. Thanks Dave.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Are you guys going through all of this to get PB with the Hyd MC ?
Kinda hesitant about giving out one of our secrets....lemme find the part number.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:27 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

PBC-M1-ALUM-MC
Plug that into a Scott Drake website for parts search. We've used that before, and it even makes it so you can fit a 65 with hyd mc !! Did have to trim the bottom pivot point and weld it in so you could remover the retaining pin. But it worked like a charm. Maybe not economical if you already have PB. But maybe it will help somebody here out one day.[8D]

Gotta slow down with the typing.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 PM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

If I didn't already have everything I'd look into that. Thanks for the info, hopefully it will help someone who's just starting this project. The JMC unit I bought was really pricey.