Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Transmission choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Firstgothenshow

Default Transmission choices

I have a 67 with a bored .030 351W backed up by the original C-4 Automatic plus a posi with 410s. I get solid performance out of the C-4 and in automatic it will even chirp when it shifts to 2nd gear which isn't bad with 245 X 45 X 16 radials in the rear but on light acceleration the car shifts to second gear before the car travels 20 feet.
I'm toying with doing a shift kit / reprogram the C-4 or swap it for an AOD.

The 351 engine is a 1973 so can someone tell me what years & transmission models would work and also tell me which would be best to stay away from because they are weak and failure prone?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Bosko
1st Gear Member

Default Good question

I have a 1971 Mach 1 with 351C and C-4. I've been asking and researching the same question. My intent right now is to go with a more modern 4r70W tranny than the AOD. Yes, I will need to get the controller and a throttle position sensor, but the 4r70W seems to be a stronger tranny than the AOD, since it is used on the more modern high power Mustangs. I also discovered that the 4r70W used on the 1999-2004 V-6 Mustangs, while internally the same as the V-8 Mustangs, has the Ford small block bolt pattern on the bell housing so they will bolt directly to my 351C and your 351W.

I will be very interested to see the other responses to this question.

Here's some links to help. I'll post more in a bit.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/tran...ssic-ford.html

http://www.becontrols.com/techguide_3.htm

I found three 2002-2004 V-6 Mustangs being parted out in my area on Craig's list. The asking price for the 4r70W is between $200 and $250, with the $250 having about 90k miles, the $200 having 135k miles. The Bauman controller is about $500 and has a great reputation, the TPS is about $100 depending on your carb and how you do it. When I'm ready for it this spring I wll get a used tranny, get it installed and running, then get a shop to rebuild it and hot rod it a bit. I'll be replacing my floor pans at the same time, it it will be relatively easy to do the swap since I'll be cutting and welding anyway.

BTW, I live in the DFW area. I'm very interested if anyone nearby wants to share experiences.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Since you didn't mention anything about economy, the tranny swaps mentioned don't seem to bring anything to the table for you. IMHO, the C4 is the stronger of the automatics. Your dilemma is common and can only be changed with a shift kit installed in the tranny. That will help s o m e. Your problem is one reason why most folks recommend no higher than 3.50 rear gears.
Best,
Al
Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Bosko
1st Gear Member

Economy without sacrificing too much performance is the driving force for me changing to a four speed. I want my car to be capable of being a daily driver in today's environment. Having a four speed definitely helps, plus I can put in some lower gears in the diff to keep the off-the-line performance in the fun range.

And besides, being a geeky engineer, it sounds like the mods and integration of the more advanced tranny will be fun! That's what we're all here for, isn't it?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

You're on it, Bosko. If you can't have some fun with the car, why have it? Just a personal opinion, here, but aside from the 4 speed being a bit more fun to drive, the C4 will produce faster, more consistent times at your local braggin' spot. Back in the early 90's, there were a couple of drag race classes pretty much for the 5.0 Mustangs. Most all of the drag Mustangs were running C4 trannys. Those of us on the daily driver/restoration side were scooping up the T-5's being removed from those cars. Odd, how things work out, sometimes, huh.
Best,
Al