Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

help:fuelpump issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default help:fuelpump issues

alright so my fuelpump took a dive (1970 302) and i need to order a new one, and i want to go aftermarket. but im unsure which one to go with. quickly looking online i found there are different sizes that provide different GPH. and i dont want to go to big, nor do i want to choke my system with something too small...

my engine is bored .30, torker intake manifold, crane cams energizer 272deg cams, hooker headers, mallory unilite ignition system,

my carb is hte factory 450cfm 4bb autolite. which will be upgraded probably at the end of summer or into the fall to a 650cfm carb..

but like i mentioned before im unfamiliar with the fuelpump jargon, and i dont want to overload my setup if you know what i mean
Old 07-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Gun Jam

Default RE: help:fuelpump issues

carter 120 GPH should fit you application..delvers about 5.8lbs no need for regulator.

You really cant go too big as the needles in the float controls fuel consumption...unless you went with a belt driven fuel pump (that would be excessive) You can have too much pressure though dont go much above 6PSI or you'll unseat the inlet needles.

-Gun
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

alright thanks for the info.

can i quickly pick your brain while your here?..

my carb setup doesnt have a fuel "return" line (im too familiar with newer cars) how does the system not get overloaded since there is no fuel return?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

turns out that, the carter fuelpump you suggested to me is a 3-4 weeks wait? is there any other brand that work similar, that i could lookup?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Gun Jam

I have never fully figured it out but I think it has to do with pressure on the diaphragm. When pressure reaches a set amount like 6lbs its stops building. There are set of check type vales in the pump I think fuel circulates between them or they act as a vent and prevent the pump from creating a vacuum when 6lbs is reached....Im sure its something close to that. Another member should be able to set us straight on that.

IT would never work if it couldn't "return" or self meter the fuel. It would always flood at idle or starve at highend.

-Gun
Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Gun Jam

from who?

Did you try summit? Jegs?

Thats the only fuel pump I have used that has lasted a long time (going strong on about 4 years of daily driving) So I know its good. someone else might have a good suggestion though.

-Gun
Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

http://www.jegs.com/p/Carter/758435/10002/-1/10305

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRT%2DM6588&a mp;N=700+115&autoview=sku
Old 07-15-2008, 07:26 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

iwork for ford in canada, and i go through keystone, i get cost.although im not at the shop righ tnow, i messenging the parts guy, for price and availebilty.

thing is if i go through another source i wont get cost..

that carter pump retail is about 180$ before taxes, i can pick one up for 90$
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Gun Jam

180??? USD?

Someone is cookn'

I got mine for about 70 US bucks delevered from summit. Will summit not delever to canada?

-Gun
Old 07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

yeah the american prices are cheaper, but it will be about 2-3 weeks before i get it, plus duties. and etc.. the price comes up after that.

if i can get a pump that keystone has in stock. ill see it tomorrow.. which is a bonus

Quick Reply: help:fuelpump issues